Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suspension Recommendations

Suspension Recommendations

Hi Guys

I'd appreciate some advice for my suspension. I'm finding the car seems too tight at the front and is skipping over bumps and putting the car off line. Seems too tight in front.

Here are the basics:
    - The plan is to run 225/50/15's at the rear and 205/55/15's at the front when I get my RS Flares. 7 & 8 inch rims
    - Car is used mainly for tarmac rally and fast road use, and the occaisional track day.
    - I currently have 18mm sway rear and 15mm sway front.
    - The car weighs around 1000kg's or 2200lb with a tank of juice
    - Currently running Koni rears with standard T Boge front's however I want to go Bilstein front's so I can run my S callipers. Maybe rears as well.
    - I plan to re-bush front & rear and install adjustable rear spring plates.
    - No idea what size my torsion bars are now.......
    - My ride height – 23.5" rear/24" front - My plan is to rasie by 1/2 inch f + r as it is just a little too low.

So what TB's, shocks / inserts, and bushes should I run to get a firm compliant ride..?

Thanks, Cam
    Looking for engine # 6208151
    '74 RS 3.0 Replica
    '70 911E Bahia Red (SOLD)
    '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 Twin plug BEAST (SOLD)
    Australian TYP 901 Register #78
    Early S Registry # 1076

It worked great for me

Hello Cam The 71 with RS flares. I was able to run 245/50-15's in the rear and still had room to spare. I will have to page thru records to check on the torsion and sway bars, but they are BIG and Stiff. For bushings I use the Weltmeister Poly-Graphite. With Weltmeister adjustible spring plates. For shocks Koni Adjustable's, they have a set that will fit the Boge struts. They are nice because the damping can be changed in seconds. But I did add grease fittings to lube the front bushings to keep the squeeking down. The ride was not to stiff and rather enjoyable .
    Bill Barnich
    R Gruppe Nr.230
    Early S Nr.960
    71 911T/2.7 Tangarine
    73 911?/3.6 work in progress

Quote Originally Posted by Cam Arnott
    So what TB's, shocks / inserts, and bushes should I run to get a firm compliant ride..?
    For a 2.4S motor, RS flared early 911: 19/26, raised spindle Bilsteins, stock rubber bushings. I'd also add a Porsche 18mm sway bar up front.
    Randy Wells
    Automotive Writer/Photographer/Filmmaker
    www.randywells.com/blog
    www.hotrodfilms.com

Early S Registry #187

Cam, get your torsion bars checked first, then you can work from there.

I think you will find that guys like Ryan are running stiff torsions and sways, as well as shock.

When you say 'tight' at the front, what do you mean. Are you sure you are getting all of your wheel travel. I know that you want to ensure that the wheels are always on the ground, except for those few places in CA (classic adelaide not California!) where you do get air!!
    Alex Webster

1967 911S Sunroof - RHD
    1969 911E - LHD - Historic Racecar
    1975 911 Carrera 2.7 MFI - RHD - Historic Racecar

My historic racing videos - www.youtube.com/aewebster

Alex

Tight so that the frontwill skip over bumps and put the car off the cornering line rather than soaking them up.

Yep front torsions will be out soon for a peek!
    '74 RS 3.0 Replica
    Early S Registry # 1076

Cam,
    For your MY 911, 21/26 or 21/27mm torsion bars should provide a nice firm ride. Doesn't detract much from ride characteristics.

Stiff shocks and large anti-sway bars add more to ride discomfort than larger TBars. So I'd not want to get too aggressive here for street use. Red Konis have been used forever and they seem to work. Some have gone over to Bilsteins. Good too but not adjustable like Konis.

Sherwood

Well I pulled a torsion bar yesterday and it looks like its all pretty standard with 19mm at the front.

Sways are 15mm front and 18mm rear so I'm thinking the front shocks are the issue. The rear are Konis, the front has the original Boge strut housings but I dont know what it inside. Might be that they are worn and hitting the bump stops....?

I have some S callipers itching to be used so its time for some new 3.5" struts. I am keen on Bilstein, has anyne tried the specially valved inserts from Smart Racing or Rennsport Systems?

I will replace the front torsions as well with either 20 or 21mm.

Cheers
    '74 RS 3.0 Replica
    Early S Registry # 1076

I will replace the front torsions as well with either 20 or 21mm.
    You're saying the front is too tight and skipping etc. and you're going to "increase" the t-bar rate?

I'm running Koni struts with 18mm raised spindles. Koni's on full soft. 18mm factory bar and factory 18.8mm t-bars. Very happy with the front right now.
    Eric - Sandy, Utah
    71 911
    914-6/GT
    914-6/ORV
    87 944 Spec 1
    Porsche Truck
    62 Beetle
    80 VW “Caddy” Pickup
    72 R75/5 Toaster Tank
    PMB Performance
    We'll Make Your Calipers New Again
    Love Us On Facebook

Eric

Given the torsion bar size I suspect the problem lies in the front shocks being either knackered or way too hard. My plan is to change the shocks to a softer type (probably Bilstein) and replace the torsions. Plenty of people seem to run 21's in the front and have a comfortable ride.....Might do the shocks 1st and then see what happens from there

Cheers
    '74 RS 3.0 Replica
    Early S Registry # 1076

Quote Originally Posted by Cam Arnott
    My plan is to change the shocks to a softer type (probably Bilstein) and replace the torsions. Plenty of people seem to run 21's in the front and have a comfortable ride.....Might do the shocks 1st and then see what happens from there

Cheers
    Sounds like a good idea. I would say that Bilsteins are a tad bit harder than the Konis' on full soft. Your mileage may vary.

I like the stout ride of Konis' on full soft for the street and then having the ability to dial in the hardness needed for an occasional autocross or DE event.
    Eric - Sandy, Utah
    71 911
    914-6/GT
    914-6/ORV
    87 944 Spec 1
    Porsche Truck
    62 Beetle
    80 VW “Caddy” Pickup
    72 R75/5 Toaster Tank
    PMB Performance
    We'll Make Your Calipers New Again
    Love Us On Facebook