Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many 1967 911S cars were built?

How many 1967 911S cars were built?

I have heard some people say that there were more 911S cars built in the first year than 911 cars, but I have never been able to find any numbers. Does anyone know how many 911S cars were built in 67 versus 911 cars. I'm sure that this has been discussed here before, but I have only been a member for a short time.
    Patrick

67 911S

According to the Porsche Red Book by Patrick Paternie:
    1967 S Coupes= 1823
    S Targas= 483
    Total: 2306

Quote Originally Posted by NV Stig
    According to the Porsche Red Book by Patrick Paternie:
    1967 S Coupes= 1823
    S Targas= 483
    Total: 2306
    Red Book: 3,421 regular 911 coupes built.
    718 regular 911 targas built.
    S Registry #265
    R Gruppe #224

I was just going on the S models. Nice to know someone else OCD's on this stuff too
    Scott

We have this discussed earlier and the 1823+483=2306 number is stated very often in the literature. This is hard to prove as the VIN numbers of the normal 911 and the 'S' were shared, in case of the 'S' they just added an 'S' to the serial number and this number was not used then for a normal 911.
    But when you look at the Porsche Technical Specifications booklet from 1967 they state the first and the last engine number for the 67 'S', which is 960001 and ending at 962178. For me that means there could be no more than 2178 'S' cars.
    Michael Moenstermann
    Osnabrueck - Germany
    Early 911S member #1052

'While accelerating the tears of emotion have to flow off horizontally to the ears.'
    'Understeer is when you see the tree you are hitting, if you only hear the tree then it was oversteer'.
    'You can't treat a car like a human being - a car needs love'. (all Walter Röhrl)

But when you look at the Porsche Technical Specifications booklet from 1967 they state the first and the last engine number for the 67 'S', which is 960001 and ending at 962178. For me that means there could be no more than 2178 'S' cars.
    And since some got replacement engines (w/ a different engine number) and some engines were spare engines the number should/ could even be lower than 2178.

BTW from my little research towards the earliest S delivered cars I have learned that a substantial or all off them got replacement (rod and/ or main) elringbearings as a factory warranty.

Richard

There seems to be a trend for cars to survive which gives odd allusions. For instance 911's hit a period where they are just used cars, and the SWB really hit a low spot awhile back and SWB's were the most worthless car and good to use up, drive up , hack up and throw away. The 67S was worth a little more than a Normal almost as much as a LWB 't' or something and standed a little better chance to survive than it's fellow SWB. So maybe there is this perception today that there are more 67S's than normal's?

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz A. Ficke
    There seems to be a trend for cars to survive which gives odd allusions. For instance 911's hit a period where they are just used cars, and the SWB really hit a low spot awhile back and SWB's were the most worthless car and good to use up, drive up , hack up and throw away. The 67S was worth a little more than a Normal almost as much as a LWB 't' or something and standed a little better chance to survive than it's fellow SWB. So maybe there is this perception today that there are more 67S's than normal's?
    I have certainly seen many 911 Normals in my area that just sit or are parted out rather than being restored. It seems as if the S cars are snapped up almost immediately. I think that you are right about the allusions of surviving cars.
    Patrick

67 911S

Are you kidding? The '67S is the car that started it all. High performance motor with special "S" cams, high compression, special Webers, vented brakes, and a lot more.

From the '67S all the other later 911 high performance and race cars were built. Don't forget the '67 911R. Based on the 911S.

The '67S is still an icon.

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Are you kidding? The '67S is the car that started it all. High performance motor with special "S" cams, high compression, special Webers, vented brakes, and a lot more.

From the '67S all the other later 911 high performance and race cars were built. Don't forget the '67 911R. Based on the 911S.

The '67S is still an icon.

Rich
    I guess I was not very clear. I was not talking about the cars value today. My point was what they were valued at in the past and why there might be more of the less produced "s" today.
    Just 8 years ago a well sorted 67S was a hard sell at 15K and all SWB 911's were considered 2nd tier, what with their "tricky handling and all".
    Look at the wide assortmant of 'updated' swb cars.
    It is a very recent thing that people have started to admire the very unique SWB's quality's.