Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How undesireable is a '68 S?

in the market for a 997

How undesireable is a '68 S?

I drove my '71 into work one day and a guy I work with started talking about an old Porsche that his mother has parked in a barn buried behind a bunch of old electrical equipment that was collected by his late grandfather. My friend is about 27 years old and said he does not remember the car running or moving from that location. He thought the car was a '65, knows that the car is black with red interior and a sunroof, and said that the emblem on the back says 911S. He also recalls that his older brother tried to get it running about 12 years ago. The brother figured there was a problem with the carburetors and disassembled them before losing interest in the project altogether.

I questioned and prodded to such a degree that he finally called his mother to confirm what year it was. She told him it was a '68.

I have to admit that I was disappointed to learn it was a '68, recalling that I had read it was less desireable for a variety of reasons. If memory serves the '68 has the tacked on side marker reflectors, and transitional door panel / arm rest design. Obviously it's the last year of the SWB, but other than that I am now wondering what significant differences there are between the '67 & '68 S. Was the engine tainted by smog compliance equipment or something? And what is difference in value between the years?

No less desirable than any other. I see you are in Jackson; I am out in San Andreas quite often. I could look her over for you if you'd like.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

BTW, no smog on a '68S as hey were Euro delivery only. The first thing to do is make sure it isn't an 'L' badged as an 'S'. Not uncommon. Very common actually, since the 'L' replaced the 'S' in the US in '68 for just that year.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

If the car is indeed a 911 L with the S badge then it would be a not so desirable model due to the tacked on side indicators and the smog pump,most of which seem to be disconnected or somehow lost.
    If it is an S then its desirability would be dramatically increased due to being a ROW model.
    Not only would it not have the side indicators nor the smog pump but it would have the significant '68 upgrades such as the dual circuit brake system and 5.5" wheels plus others.
    My take is the '68 S should be worth a little more than the '67 S.
    Take a close look - it may be to your advantage to resurrect this sleeper !
    Yet another barn find ?

Cheers,
    Dennis.
    1970 914-6 - materialised from the 'Lotto' garage into reality
    1971 2.2 911 S - now back in the UK - sob!
    1975 Carrera Targa (ROW) - missed.
    One of us is fast becoming a valuable antique.
    S Registry member 536
    Australian TYP 901 Register Member 44

old softie67S

this may be a country of buyer question

Assuming we are talking about an S, not an L, the American market favors the 67. Not by a large amount, but some. In part, all 68 S are cars now in the US began their lives somewhere else, other than the US. That usully means a car that may have had a harsher enviorment (rust) or driven hard. They are also the "first" S. The ROW may prefer the 68. I had never really considered that possibility until the above post. tom
    Tom

67S soft rear window
    60 356 Cab
    70 914-6 3.2 short stroke twin plug
    05 Audi S4 Cabrio (commuter)
    05 Audi Alroad (family driver)
    Aprilia SR 50R (Sanibel scoot)

My take is the '68 S should be worth a little more than the '67 S.
    I wonder if that applies. I am not familiar w/ a preference for the 68 S model. Personally I like the 66/67 S model better, they are more classic. The 68 has those alu window frames, some models not any longer the T bar rear lid/ mag instead of alu case, wipers parked opposite? For me reasons to prefer the first series.

Richard

You really need to get the vin to know what you have. Some states would title a new car the year sold or the mother may remember when it was bought. Could be 67 or 68, only the vin will tell.

Nothing wrong with a 68 S they are great cars. My current driver is a RHD 68 S. The 67 is more desirable as they are the first year S and there are some changes with the 68. But when you are behind the wheel and the cams kick in there is no difference.

Alan (67 S, 68 S and 70 S)

in the market for a 997
    Thanks for the feedback guys. After some further research I came to some of the same conclusions. rebadged L? S of another year? I would be surprised to find a ROW '68 S, but who knows.

Now I just need to arrange the archeology expedition.

this sounds like one of those barn find stories where the price you pay is so low it really doesn't matter what model it is.
    Erik

Early S # 1107

All my german equipment is either busted or sold...sigh....in the market for a decent non-sunroof tub!!!!!!! Help me get back to autocrossing!!!