Thread: 10 million

10 million

RM's auction in italy sold a 250 calif.spyder for over 10 million,plus other high price sales

- bought by UK TV 'personality' Chris Evans...
    Andy

Early 911S Reg #753
    R Gruppe #105

Dummy!

I Was Offered This Car Back In Thev 80's For 210,000;i Offered 180,000;boy Whay A Dummy!

30+ years ago

Frank,
    Don't beat yourself up, in the late sixtes/early seventes 250 GTOs were worth a lot less. A 300SL roadster would have cost me $4500, a gullwing a little more. With my luck Fiat 124s would have become priceless and the SL and GTO junkyard dogs.
    Until all the military surplus warbirds were sold or melted down after WWll and Korea, a P-51 was $1000 and a B-17 with less than 15hr TT was $1500. The B-17s were in the mid-west and sold usually full of fuel. They were purchased for the fuel and the 50 thousand pounds of scrap metal after stripping the engines etc.
    In the mid seventies I had a chance to buy a 2 seater Mig 21 for 10 grand. Fly away price no less. Wife went nuts and said no...we were going to fly it. Prior to that we did buy a Mig 15 out of N. Africa. Got special permission to bring it into U.S. via Andrews AFB in a C-130 with the wings and vert. stablizer detached. We loaded it on a truck and brought it to Mesa, Az. We unloaded it and left it outside for 24hrs for the eyes in the sky to validate it's location. All the manuels and cannon instructions on the fuselage were in French. Within an hour of arrival in Mesa, we discovered the guns/cannons were still in the aircraft. No one looked it over at Andrews.
    We spent 2 days making the cannons disappear prior to a DOD inspection. This was the first civilian owned fully operable Mig in the U.S. Today there are many. We did drill the wing spar to de-commision ihe thing to unflyable.
    Today P-51s and the 3 remaining flying B-17s are "priceless" as they say.
    Anyway there are many wouldda-couldda stories from my active years back then and boy do I feel stupid about things I shouldda bought or done. Thanks for the reminder..The 275GTB, The cloud ll RR with 20,000 mi. for 18G, ugh!!
    Duane Hyatt