Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paint code tag removal

Paint code tag removal

I there a good way to remove the coach builders paint tag, located in the drivers door jam. It looks looks like the tag is nailed in place. If I try to pry it up, it will surly bend. Do you grind off the heads and use a small punch? Ideas.

The first thing I do to determine the quality of a restoration is look at this tag, it really tells the story.
    Rob Abbott

My 70 S has a tag that looks like this:

There are no rivets holding it on. Is this "factory"?

cheers,
    Michael
    1970 S Coupe - Light Ivory - #9110300237
    1983 SC Cabriolet - Moss Green Metallic - #WP0EA091XDS170830

Quote Originally Posted by mhackney
    My 70 S has a tag that looks like this:

There are no rivets holding it on. Is this "factory"?

cheers,
    Michael
    Mines a 68, both my 356s have the same type of tag, and they are held in with nails, not rivets. I'm sure they found it much easier on latter models to just stick them on. So, yes yours is factory.
    Rob Abbott

I don't think thats correct for 69 on not sure about pre 69 however always happy to be corrected if I am incorrect...........

The plates were metal and all had 4 alloy round head self threading rivets holding them in place (rivets were same as held 356 plates in place)

I have owned a 69, 70, and several 73 cars and they were all the same except one Karman body which had a bigger tag still with 4 rivets however

The tag you have is back the front in colour also usually silver where the number is and black elsewhere so not sure what you have

The MADE IN seems way to big also

I am fairly certain its not factory for a 70
    Clyde Boyer

1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed
    1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed my first ever 911 (1995)

Early S Registry Member #294
    First Aussie R Gruppe Member #366
    TYP 901 Register Inc #6

Paint tags on a very early build '71E, and my late build '73S

Many 'non-concourse' but good painters simply masked these over during the work.

Hope this helps,
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Thanks Chuck now Michael can see how his appear to be wrong

Its interesting to note that your originals have MADE IN in much larger writing than the paint tags now supplied from porsche where the MADE IN has become quite small compared to WESTERN GERMANY

Slow day down under!!!!!!
    Clyde Boyer

1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed
    1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed my first ever 911 (1995)

Early S Registry Member #294
    First Aussie R Gruppe Member #366
    TYP 901 Register Inc #6

The paint tag on my '67S is exactly like Chuck's tags...i.e. with the rivets. When I got my '67S the paint tag had been completely painted over when the car was given a cheap paint job by a PO. I tried to figure out how to remove the tag without damaging it and never came up with a solution but I got another idea which worked and may help some of you. I reasoned that the paint on top of the paint tag was cheaper and probably not bonded as well as the original factory baked on black. I figured removing this overspray would not be as difficult to removing the tag itself. I carefully masked around the tag (as Chuck mentions) using automotive masking tape (not hardware store tape) and pressed the masking tightly around all four edges. Then, with a small brush I carefully applied Jasco Paint remover to the tag. I only let it sit on the tag a few seconds and then wiped it off. The results were exactly what I hoped for. The Jasco paint remover only removed the top layer of paint that had been sprayed over the top of the tag and left the black baked on paint underneath untouched. It's a trial and error approach but it worked for me and eliminated the need to remove the paint tag to clean it up. I think this would also work if you have paint around the edges and corners of the tag that you want to remove. If you try it I'd go very carefully with a small section of the tag like a corner first...and if it works than you can do all the edges...and I would only do this if you have the metal tag with the rivets...I don't think it would work with the tin foil type tag.
    Good luck.

Thanks guys. It appears that mine must be a replacement. This is very odd though since I have receipts back to the original window sticker and the only paint work done was on the left rear fender and Al deck respray. The paint on the door and door post really appears to be original. I suppose if I remove this sticker that the 4 holes should be visible?

Is there a source for these tags with the proper color code?

Cheers,
    Michael
    1970 S Coupe - Light Ivory - #9110300237
    1983 SC Cabriolet - Moss Green Metallic - #WP0EA091XDS170830

Michael,
    Since you tag is the tin foil type (which is probably a replacement) you might be able to remove it without damaging it by carefully using a heat gun (a hair dryer will work.) Than should soften up the glue behind it and allow you to carefully slip something like a puddy knife under it and peal it off. If you can get it off without damaging it you can see if you have the holes for the metal plate under it (they should be there) and also re-use it if you have to...but I think you can get a blank metal plate and than stamp it with the right paint code.
    Rich

Quote Originally Posted by mhackney
    Thanks guys. It appears that mine must be a replacement. This is very odd though since I have receipts back to the original window sticker and the only paint work done was on the left rear fender and Al deck respray. The paint on the door and door post really appears to be original. I suppose if I remove this sticker that the 4 holes should be visible?

Is there a source for these tags with the proper color code?

Cheers,
    Michael
    Stoddard had blank tags at one time.
    Tom F.
    Long Beach, CA