Thread: Swapped the MFI with PMO?

Swapped the MFI with PMO?

Hello,
    My 1967, 308328 came with the MFI. S engine from 1970.
    The stacks and the fuel pump need total rebuild and I know this isn't going to be easy.
    I am just wondering if PMO would work as a straight swapped?
    Do I need to change the type of pistons when use with PMO?
    Thanks
    Burint
    Attached Images Attached Images    

To the best of my knowledge, you should be able to swap out the MFI for carbs without touching the pistons. This may help...

http://www.pmocarb.com/installation.htm

Where are you located (I was trying to decipher your license plate)? Hopefully there is someone nearby that can help you with the set-up and possibly even help you with your MFI.
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Hello 72targa,
    Thank you for reply. i am in Bangkok and we can work the PMO with no problem. The car was in garage for a very long time. You can see in the picture, she's on the tow truck when I picked her up. That was the first time she's moved in 17 years.

The only thing you have to to do is plug the mfi holes in the heads.
    Make sure to contact Richard at PMO to get the correct main jet, idle jet, emulsion tube parts for a 2.2S set-up.
    You also need a set of carb intake manifolds which will run another $300+.
    Are you buying the PMO's new or used?
    If new, you may want to consider just having your 2.2MFI rebuilt. When the dust settles, you will most liekley be in the conversion setup for over $3000.
    Getting a complete MFI setup overhauled will probably run closer to $4000, but the motor will be much more valuable with its original correct MFI setup.

burint,
    if MFI would be about 1k more than PMO then i would bite the bullet and go ahead with MFI set up.
    cheers
    tenn

IMHO, since you already have MFI, it might be more cost effective to rebuild your parts than switch over to PMOs, even if you sold the MFI system to recoup some of the cost. However, you might be far from a reputable MFI rebuilder, time may be a factor and other variables may affect your decision.

OTOH, tuning your particular engine setup will be more flexible with carbs than with MFI, whose fixed fuel delivery specs rely on the mechanical shape of the space cam within the pump.

Other than the induction system, there's no other engine difference unless one counts the pump drive on the camshaft (left side) and a warm air tube attached to the heat exchanger (same side).

Keeping the original MFI system with the engine is also a factor to consider.

Sherwood

Hi there Burint.

From the look of things you have a 2,2 liter 911S engine. I say this because there is only one solenoid on the MFI pump, for fuel shutoff. A 2,0 liter 1969 engine would have a second solenoid.

Anyway, to have the pump rebuilt you need to send it to Gus Pfister at Pacific Fuel Injection, 153 Utah Ave, South San Francisco, CA 94080. Tel. +1 650.588.8880. Rebuilding will cost about $1500 depending on what parts you need. If the car sat for 17 years the pump has probably gummed up, once you remove it from the engine you can see whether the shaft still turns. My guess it that it probably does not.

As far as the stacks go, these I would send to Matt Blast at Eurometrix, web site www.eurometrix.ws. This costs around $1200. Of course shipping these items across the Pacific won't be cheap, but this is your best option.

With a working 2,2 MFI engine you should be seeing about 180 HP, which in a stock 1967 normal (originally Irish green) should be extremely fast, so make sure the old single circuit brakes are upgraded to dual circuit-- you may want to consider upgrading the braking system to a later setup (SC) to handle the increased power.

Good luck! PMOs, as good as they are, are a step backwards from a properly working and tuned MFI system. Plus an early S engine with rebuilt MFI has been appreicating in value lately, so if you went to look for an original 901/06 engine, including a rebuild budget, you would break even (or better).

Below are examples of Gus' work (pump) and Matt's (stacks and TBs) Nice, no?

Good luck!
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

Burint; I payd 2500$ for a complete rebuild at Supertec in the US. Looks very good I think! They did the whole MFI system, stacks, trottle bodies, pump, rods, fuel lines etc.

Keep the MFI!

John
    Early 911S Registry #931
    --------------------------------
    1971 911 2.2S Coupe Albert Blue
    1971 911 2.2T Coupe Tangerine
    2005 997 C2S Coupe special 1965 slate grey
    1978 911 3.0 SC Targa Silver w/chrome trim

Gentlemen,
    Thanks for all your support. Now that you made it look so simple to me.
    Yes, the pump shaft still turns but the stack are looking really bad at the base.
    I am wondered if we can do anything about that.
    For the 901/07 tranny, I believe it's the same spec for the S. ??
    The calipers, alu in front and cast iron in rear.

Does Gus restore the stacks too? Or I should send them all to supertec?

John,
    That was a great deal. Henry is not so cheap usually. His rebuilds are great but his work is expensive.
    Burint,
    Go with the mfi rebuild.

Quote Originally Posted by Zithlord
    Burint; I payd 2500$ for a complete rebuild at Supertec in the US. Looks very good I think! They did the whole MFI system, stacks, trottle bodies, pump, rods, fuel lines etc.

Keep the MFI!

John