Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sonnenschiensnoozen vs. Optima question

Sonnenschiensnoozen vs. Optima question

Looking for new batts and i see the sonnenschein DF-75 is about $150 shipped (x2 i suppose).

Is there any reason to use 2 of these or am i fine with one?

Also, how do these compare to the Optima red top.

I DON'T care about originality in this area but DO care about leaking, dead batteries and other associated miseries.

Thanks for the assistance-
    Erik

Early S # 1107

All my german equipment is either busted or sold...sigh....in the market for a decent non-sunroof tub!!!!!!! Help me get back to autocrossing!!!

I would go with one red top or two Sonnenscheins. I am not sure I have enough reserve with just one Sonnenschein.
    Harry

Member #789
    1970 VW Sunroof Kombi Bus - "The Magic Bus"
    1973.5 911T Targa for fun - "Smokey"
    2009 MB C300

FYI

Interstate makes a battery that fits and is less $ than the Sonnenschein
    Early 911S Registry #750
    1970 911E - The Good Stuff
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser

Quote Originally Posted by boxster03
    FYI

Interstate makes a battery that fits and is less $ than the Sonnenschein
    Agreed but when I checked with my local fellow, the Interstates are not that much cheaper (maybe about $60 for the pair vs the Sonnenshein).
    Harry

Member #789
    1970 VW Sunroof Kombi Bus - "The Magic Bus"
    1973.5 911T Targa for fun - "Smokey"
    2009 MB C300

I am an admitted advocate of the dual Sonnenscheins. Even though you're not as concerned about originality as I probably am I just don't care for the mess that mounting an Optima on its side creates. As to the interstates, or any other lead acid battery, be sure you factor in the cost of a new front pan in the future if using liquid electrolyte types.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Thanks all. Just ordered two of the last 4 sonnenschnoozenfufers left at batterysales.com. Did it via phone to be sure i got automotive posts and the fellow was very helpful. if i can get a full 3yrs out of these i'll be pleased.

just finished my pan recently so i'll be darned if i'm going to do another one (at least not on THIS car).

ed can i leave both batts in the car during the winter w/ a battery maintainer gizmo? if so do i need one gizmo or two? we get the odd nice day in february and i'd like to be able to take my baby for a ride when that happens.
    Erik

Early S # 1107

All my german equipment is either busted or sold...sigh....in the market for a decent non-sunroof tub!!!!!!! Help me get back to autocrossing!!!

Beretta Fan, the one thing you need to avoid with these batteries is overcharging, both from your cars charging system, and from battery chargers. The battery charger needs to have the automatic shut off when full charge is reached. You can hook your charger leads to just one battery and it will charge both. If you think the car may be down a couple months during the dead of winter then I would suggest unbolting the ground straps, otherwise if it's usually only a few weeks to a month then don't bother. I've been using these batteries for more than fifteen years now, and unless they're abused someway they've been lasting up to six years.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Maybe because I am in Greece at the moment

But I like and have used Odyssey.

All charged up guys,

http://www.odysseybatteries.com/

They have one that fits, it is pretty small in fact. Very powerful but expensive batteries.

-Allen-

Quote Originally Posted by Dr 911E
    I also like
    http://www.odysseybatteries.com/

Odyssey. They have one that fits, it is pretty small in fact. Very powerful but expensive batteries.

-Allen-
    The Odyssey batteries are now available from Sears under the Diehard Platinum name. I'm not sure of the price difference, but they're much easier to locate since they're available at Sears.

I bought one for my 4Runner over the winter and was really impressed with the quality. We'll see how long it lasts.

thanks reed. i looked at the sears website and they appear to be $189 but there is no mention of sizing, etc.

looking forward to having my non-leaky sonn's in the car next week!
    Erik

Early S # 1107