Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help me understand this?

Help me understand this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1973-...QQcmdZViewItem

This car got to $70,000+ and reserve wasn't met. I am very interested in understanding how this value was achieved. What am I missing?
    86 Sport Purpose Carrera "O4"

An inexpensive way to 'test the water' so to speak. I don't think your missing anything.
    Early 911S member #166

I have no problem with the theory that all men are created equal.
    But after that moment you are on your own and nobody owes you a damn thing.

what is the question

he wants more than 70000.00? value has nothing to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by gunzel
    he wants more than 70000.00? value has nothing to do with it.
    This is a very nice but very modified non-matching number S.

Who bid this car up? and on what basis?

When I see a zero feedback bidder on a stratospheric auction leading the bidding with a reserve not met, I see it as a shill bid auction to test the waters and set a value baseline. Dealers can then point back to that ad and say to a new prospective buyer/bidder "Look what the car didn't get" to convince prospective buyers the car is worth big bucks. Good marketing, but a somewhat dishonest in practice.

My vague memory seems to recall similar shenanigans from EC.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Quote Originally Posted by kenikh
    When I see a zero feedback bidder on a stratospheric auction leading the bidding with a reserve not met, I see it as a shill bid auction to test the waters and set a value baseline. Dealers can then point back to that ad and say to a new prospective buyer/bidder "Look what the car didn't get" to convince prospective buyers the car is worth big bucks. Good marketing, but a somewhat dishonest in practice.

My vague memory seems to recall similar shenanigans from EC.
    I have always questioned what seems to be uncharacteristic bidding w/ EC's cars. They seem to get to values that are higher than other cars in the market.

Is that an early S reg sticker in the rear window? the EPA sticker looks "too" good for a repainted car, and it has the wrong speedo. The color also doesn't look quite right to me. The car seems to have every option, but the personalization probably lowers the value. No pictures of the underside. If it was original I might buy the $70k price, but the way it is I would say $50K, but who's to say what people will pay? I think all early cars are over priced.

Even from as far away as I am I know of 2 x 73S cars, admittedly numbers matching, that have sold for $115US plus in recent months
    Clyde Boyer

1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed
    1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed my first ever 911 (1995)

Early S Registry Member #294
    First Aussie R Gruppe Member #366
    TYP 901 Register Inc #6

S cars overpriced???I think not!
    If a well-sorted restored 66-67 Chevelle SS can fetch $50-100,000 at BJ
    (a car that was mass produced, low technology and costs only $3800 new)
    not to mention much cheaper to restore IMHO
    while a Porsche of the same year cost $8-10K, from a small production
    and at the top of technology for its day
    I think Porsches were too cheap for too long.
    This trend made no sense to me a few years ago when I had no cents
    Richard aka le Zookeeper
    early reg #1128

I do not think $115K for a 73S or $85K for a 67S is too much. I just do not understand the value seen in this particular car. That was the clarification I was seeking. What makes this car worth $70,000?