Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engine work on the car I bought at this forum...

Engine work on the car I bought at this forum...

Some of you has seen the picture of the car, it had a fire in the muffler Probably good, because then I had to make it like this Still some work to do mounting fan, electrics etc. car is also comming along...some very small spots of rust being cut out and replaced, then SKS undercoating and Albert Blue Lesonal paint. Gearbox is also comming off for more cleaning and clutch/flywheel refurnish. Seats being done in leather/houndstooth. 118 driving lights will be installed. Deep six in front, 7R in the rear.

John
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Early 911S Registry #931
    --------------------------------
    1971 911 2.2S Coupe Albert Blue
    1971 911 2.2T Coupe Tangerine
    2005 997 C2S Coupe special 1965 slate grey
    1978 911 3.0 SC Targa Silver w/chrome trim

Isn't that how it always happens? From a fire to a rock chip, they all lead to full restorations...
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

What exactly started the fire?

Perhaps they(people at the port moving the car) have left the ignition on for too long, running the pump, and tried to start the car the wrong way, resulting in fuel being dumped into cylinders(open needle in the carbs) and out an exhaust valve. Alternatively left the car on the RoRo boat in an angle for a long time during transport with the same result, fuel being emptying out of the carbs all the way trough to the exhaust system?

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ht=engine+fire

John
    Early 911S Registry #931

John, great job. Very tasty and clean looking engine. Can't wait to see albert blue beauty.
    Did your shipping insurance cover damage whilst in the care of transporter?
    Karl: E911SR #792 ; RG #420 ; GS #7

'72T Coupe - Sepia Brown

Quote Originally Posted by varunan123
    john

the project looks great.I was curious as to the restoration costs in europe and i am sure norway is not cheap-or do i have the wrong assumption.What is the hr restoration cost in euro(kroners)-high to low.It looks great by the way.Also,if anyone is reading this thread=if you can help me get some gibbs products to john i would appreciate it-i ran into a stone wall in the post 9'11 world-that gave me chills typing 911 in a different context,But if you can help me get it to john let me know

raj
    Raj,
    Europe is much more expensive to do this kind of work. And Norway is even more expensive. But the value of these early cars in Norway is much more than in the USA. John was smart to have the MFI done in the USA. I am guessing he is having the motor and body work done locally. Ouch!!!
    He has an S though so it all will probably be worth it if he decides to sell at some point. In the meantime, he can drive the snot out of the car thru the fjords of Norway!!

Also,if anyone is reading this thread=if you can help me get some gibbs products to john i would appreciate it-
    Is it allowed to carry this stuff in a suitcase while travelling by plane?

If so I can get it to Europe for him.

Richard

Thanks Porsche friends!

Some answers:

The insurance did not cover the damage

The car is being done at http://picasaweb.google.com/Jancarfactory in the Baltics(Lithuania)! Very cheap labor and very skilled workers. Jan(Norwegian guy) has set up a shop over there restoring vintage cars. Just now he is working on several Porsches, Ferrari and Panteras etc. Norway would have been much, much more expencive and I do not think we have any shops with the right skills. Jan is extremly detail oriented, so the job will be done as close to original as possible. His shop dos all chassis work, painting, chrome, cadmium, leather etc. Price is 200 kroner pr. hour or 40$. If you enter his photo album you can see some pictures of his work, look at the ST album, a car he did for a friend of mine.

Gibbs, the UK distibutor has found a way to ship out of the UK to European countris, so that problem is solved.

The engine is done in my garage, a very local "shop"

John
    Early 911S Registry #931

Your engine looks GORGEOUS. Can't wait to see the finished car...
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Wow, $40/hr sounds cheap even for the US! Kind of like a few guys I know that go to Mexico for body work.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389