Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Opinions Please - Stay With S Bumper or Go With Standard?

Opinions Please - Stay With S Bumper or Go With Standard?

Need some help here - well just opinions, I guess. My car has the steel S bumper now, all trim deleted, and holes welded up. I really like the look of Bob Tilton's car (and others, of course) with the standard bumper and trim delete. So whaddya'll think, S or standard...?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Scott H.
    1969 Coupe LtWt
    1973.5 911T

Scott,

Love the look and stance of your car. The change of bumper will give it a different look but my opinion, both looks would be stunning.

Not that hard to change out the bumpers so why not have both to give it a change from time to time.

Thanks Bob. I also like the look and stance, but was considering trying another look. I already scored a rust free and straight bumper from a 73 and am going to have the holes welded up and it painted so I can give it a try. Every time I look at a car with a clean front bumper like an R or Bob Tilton's for example, I say, damn that looks good - I gotta try that on mine. Then I look at my car and say, well shoot that looks good too - I am not sure if I want to change. So I bought one anyway...
    Scott H.
    1969 Coupe LtWt
    1973.5 911T

S bumper works better if you drive over 50

old style looks better, IMHO

I would prepare and mount the standard bumper for the different, more pure look you are talking about. Keep the spoiler though for a fall back to the current look in the future.
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

Your car looks great! I am wrestling this same ? with my 73T.
    I would go with the standard.
    86 Sport Purpose Carrera "O4"

So many questions, so few answers....

Both look sharp

Deleting the trim seems to take away some of the period look of the car, but also makes it look more agressive. The trim dresses up the car. It makes it look more...civilized. Without the trim, it looks like it wants to kick sand in your face and steal your girlfriend.

A tough choice, but you can't go wrong either way.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    1967 911S Coupe
    1991 944S2 Coupe

Past projects:
    1967 912 Coupe
    1969 911T Coupe
    1985.5 944 SR Coupe

I'm having the same thoughts that you are Scott. Right now I have an S bumper and trim on my 73T but I'm really starting to like the looks of the narrow trim and standard bumper. The S bumper has too much "flair" to it. Of course this is JMO.

With the narrow bumper it gives the car more of an "ST" look. Which I feel is one of the best looking 911's out there. And if you do mount a narrow bumper on your car just don't sell your S bumper, you might regret it later
    Tim G

Early S Reg #1017
    RGruppe #663

73 911T 3.2
    00 Ducati 996 Track Rat
    01 Ducati S4 Monster

I like the look of your car now, but the standard bumper would be a little bit better IMO. It's a tough call.

Try it and post photos for comparison.
    Bert Jayasekera
    1970 911T - Tangerine Orange
    Early 911S Registry #494
    R Gruppe #167

Cool looking car

offering a bit of insight to your question, I really think the position of the Porsche factory offers the most conclusive insight. The front spoiler was developed to add the necessary downforce for the narrow bodied cars so they would manage better at speeds over 90MPH. Keeping in line with Rgruppe standards and adding the variable of the 65MPH speed limit, and the agressive stance of your car I believe the cumlative result would be to keep your machine in the agressive mode. The driver should have the right tools to keep his/her machine glued to the road at all times.
    [FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"]
    Curt Autenrieth
    S Registry # 152

Porsches:
    1.6L 2.7L
    1.8L 3.0L
    2.0L 3.2L
    2.2L 3.4L h20 cooled
    2.4L 3.6L air & h20 cooled
    3.8L