Thread: 69 turn signal switch, left turn works, right doesn't

69 turn signal switch, left turn works, right doesn't

Guys,

I took the 69 out yesterday and found that the turn signal works for left hand turns but I can not get the switch to move to signal a right hand turn. It feels as if something is jammed in the mechanism. For a righ hand turn the lever will not even move a millimeter off of dead center.

This morning I took the switch off of the sterring column but can not find any evidence of a jammed part. Where should I be looking for binding parts?

Possibly related information: prior to the failure I noticed that the self cancelling feature did not work. It was necessary for me to return the return signal lever to neutral following a turn.

Thanks for the help

John, card carrying member #322

Looks like I answered my own question. I sprayed a bit of WD 40 on the face of the switch, wiped off the excess and found that movement was back to normal. After reassembling the plastic covers and installing the steering wheel, the turn signals work fine on both sides. Not sure about the self cancelling problem until I take a test drive.

John

I'm never so dumb as when I'm trying to be smart

69 turn signal switch, left turn works, right

Oh, I see you got it fixed, I thought maybe you had gotten a NASCAR switch
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Ed,

Good to hear from you. Some times I impress even myself, although before I sprayed the WD 40 in there, it seemed to me that the switch was secured with a 19 MM lug nut. So I'm still not sure what the problem was. Oh well, I'll take one in the 'win' column and be happy.

Now all I need to do is figure out what a NASCAR switch is. Is that sort of like a Bulgarian Anesthetic? Administered with a baseball bat?

John

Seemed funny to me at the time......NASCAR....they only turn left!!!!

Now you know why I don't make a living doing standup comedy, Leno, your job is safe!!!
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Ed

Now that you have explained it, your comment made me smile this morning. Your mind obviously works at a much higher level than mine.

On an unrelated subject: Will I be able to buy you a beer at the Charlotte Parade?

John

Hey, you gonna be there, GREAT, look forward to meeting you and collecting on that drink!!!
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Ed,
    I'm not registered. Just going to be there as a visitor. We plan to arrive on Friday and leave on Monday. As the old Vaudeville act goes: "If you get there first, you draw a blue line. If I get there first, I'll rub it out."

My cell is 513 325 8071

John

John, sent you a P.M. but your box is full, time for some housecleaning!
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Ed,

PM Box now cleaned out. I would have procrastinated on cleaning it out but I didn't get around to it.

John