Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Homebrew glass fuse accelerator pump volume gauge :D

Homebrew glass fuse accelerator pump volume gauge :D

I made an accelerator pump volume gauge out of a glass fuse. Question: How full should the fuse be to get the proper .8cc volume?

I think it may be half after fussing with it a bit, but wanted to get other's opinions.

Thanks.

Pardon me, but how could we possibly know? Why don't you find something which you can fill with water to the 0.8cc line, like an eye dropper or measuring cup from the kitchen. Then pour that amount of water into your fuse and see where it ends up.

Use a syringe with a scale.
    Michael Moenstermann
    Osnabrueck - Germany
    Early 911S member #1052

'While accelerating the tears of emotion have to flow off horizontally to the ears.'
    'Understeer is when you see the tree you are hitting, if you only hear the tree then it was oversteer'.
    'You can't treat a car like a human being - a car needs love'. (all Walter Röhrl)

Sorry, I thought someone might have done this before and would know.

Finding something with a measurement scale that small has proven to be tough, but I think I found something now.

I definitely am not shelling out $60 for the official Porsche tool!

Mike,
    Tell us what you did when you get done. You and I are probably not alone in needing to do this too.

Well, I just went to a local drug store (Walgreens) and asked them if they had anything that could measure up to 1cc (ml). She gave me a free B-D 0 to 1.0ml plastic syringe.

The recommended .75cc will definitely not fit in the glass fuse, the glass fuse method I found must only be for 356 guys and their puny Zenith carbs.

So, I'll probably just rig up a clear plastic straw and calibrate that with the syringe.

Total cost = Zero (except my time, if you count that)

You may want to take a look at this:

http://www.stoddard.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=9734

$15.00 seems like a lot for what it is, but the up side is you don't have to 'invent' it.

Joe
    Joe Frantz
    73 911t
    Registry #1265

the .30 cents must be to cover the cost and the $15 is Porsche tax.

no need to calibrate your straw or whatever you find to fit down there. just fill it, remove it and draw the fuel into the plastic syringe you got to see just how much motion potion you're getting.
    Erik

Early S # 1107

All my german equipment is either busted or sold...sigh....in the market for a decent non-sunroof tub!!!!!!! Help me get back to autocrossing!!!

Good idea! I just didn't want to degrade my plastic and rubber measuring devices with gasoline, so I wanted to use a "sacrificial" container....

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fritter
    The recommended .75cc will definitely not fit in the glass fuse, the glass fuse method I found must only be for 356 guys and their puny Zenith carbs.
    Hey! Those "puny" Zenith carbs take full liter graduated cylinders! Ok, that's for measuring the fuel leaks but don't call those cast iron throttle bodies puny! Actually, fitting a graduated cylinder under the accelerator pump outlet on a Zenith is pretty challenging.
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet