Thread: Silver Safety Compliance Sticker, req'd for 69?

Silver Safety Compliance Sticker, req'd for 69?

Guys,

Do I need the silver safety standards compliance sticker in the driver's side rear door jamb for my 1969. I have one in the 73 but I am not sure what was the first year for these things.

The sticker is just below the striker plate on the B pillar door jamb and is approx. 2 x 5 inches. It has the gross vehicle weight figure and also the VIN.

Do I need one for a 1969 model? I hope not as the dealer just told me PCNA recently increased the price 250%.

Thanks

John,
    73 S with sporto and 69 just finishing a bare metal respray

I think the only one available is in black, not silver unfortunately.
    Neil
    '73 911S targa

Neil,

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, you're right. They are black. All the more reason to hope that someone can confirm that they were not used in 1969.

John

The US Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards went into effect on Jan 1, 1968. Every car manufactured in or imported into the USA on or after that date had to comply with the new standards and also had to display a tag or label with prescribed language certifying compliance. So, a label would have been on a '69 (if it was built for the US market), but I can't help with exactly which.

PS... the laws were amended in 1969 and went into effect on 9/1/69 regarding the type of info to be displayed and were the tag or label must be affixed. That would have affected 1970 models. So, a '69 would have had the earlier style?

vin safety sticker

I believe 69 had the sticker.
    68 had a metal tag on the a pillar. i'm not sure of the transition date.
    search "vin sticker" for a reproduction I made up.
    bob moglia
    '72 E sunroof coupe

No sticker for 69. There is a metal plate affixed with glue under the paint ID plate with the pertinent information. 1968 had the same plate but was held on by small nails one in each corner. The sticker started in 1970. There might have been some late production 1969's with the sticker but I am not certain. I hope this helps!
    Ivs
    69 911E

oops

i stand corrected.
    i've seen them imprinted with a 1969 date.
    that would translate to 1970 model year
    i guess its possible a late 69 would have the sticker.
    but probably not.
    bob moglia
    '72 E sunroof coupe

Guys,

Much thanks to all of you for the insight. You all made my day by letting me know that I will not be needing to pay outrageous dollars to PCNA.

Also my thanks for the discussion of the difference between the driver's door metal compliance sticker (which I have for the 69) and the later pax door printed sticker in the 73. After the description of what each one does, it all made sense.

Thanks again for taking the time to elucidate me.

John

73S with sporto (Wie ein Floh, aber Ahoh!), and 69 912 (where everything happens sedately)