Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How are you insuring your early S

How are you insuring your early S

OK

how are folks insuring your cars. I did a top to bottom restore. I invested about 30K into this car. I love driving it, but now I am way under insured. My insurance guy is no help. He want to sell me a "collector's car" policy that has so many riders on it that if I drive the car and get into an accident, I am sure they will wiggle out. this is the grundy policy.

the current policies list 2,500 miles as a cap. Can not be used to go back and forth to work etc.

I like to take the car out for drives on the weekends, and occasionally drive it to work and arond town. These things are not ment to be show peices, they are ment to be driven.

Anyone got any ideas on where I can get an agreed upon policy with generous mileage caps of roughly 5,000 miles a year and no limits on whre I can drive the beast.

thanks -- rr
    -----

71 911E RS Clone (Analog)
    88 928 S4 (V8 Trans Axle)
    99 996 (Daily Beater)

Early S Registry # 1278

My 67 911s Insurance Experience

Get A Quote From State Farm Insurance..it Helps To Have Other Policies With Them ....for Stated Value ...pics/ Appraisal .. Also Helps. Later , Jon
    ORE67S

67 911S-SILVER
    65 356SC COUPE -SOLD
    73 914 2.0 YELLOW [74K]
    74 914 1.8 WHITE

Unhappily insured. I just want a policy that will let me drive the car to work on Fridays...other than that Hagerty is quite forgiving on the mileage.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Unhappily insured. I have stated value policy w/American Collectors, but
    have same issues with driving to work, etc.
    A thread last year at the PP board suggested that Sneed was a pretty good
    fit for our cars. I'm not out of storage yet, so haven't gotten a quote.
    Mike B.
    1972 911E #414
    Early S #1065

Hi rr/Kenik,

As it happens I am going thru the same process and today had 2 conversations with collector agreed value insurers.

One was recomended by my current carrier USAA, and is American Collectors Insurance. The restrictions (millage and usage) and underwriting factors (my oldest son is still living at home and has his own cars and insurance but is an included factor as is my 17 year old son who will not drive these cars and has a dedicated car) make them uncompetitive.

I have also spoken with Gary Gandy (R Gruppe member) and will be getting a quote from him. He seems to understand our needs and has a collection option if you have multiple collector cars.

I will be looking at other options over the next few days as I am planning to drive one of my cars to Treffen this year and do not relish the idea of only being covered for half the trip.

This is a timely topic and thank you for bringing it up.

Regards,

Bob Aines

I have a regular State Farm auto policy with a stated value for my '68. I drive it to work sometimes 5 days a week.

Sure is nice coming out from a crappy work day to my SWB sitting in the parking lot waiting for me.

I am not sure but I had stated value with USAA and when talking with some board members they suggested I verify that stated value and agreed value were the same and I was told by USAA they are not. You may want to check with your ins co.

My understanding is that what we want is agreed value. This is where the value of a total loss is the amount of the policy. Stated value is where you tell the ins co what you value the car at but that they will pay actual cash value which may not be the amount you stated, that is your start point for deductions for whatever.

How are you insuring your early S

I was with a popular company that advertises heavily, for many years. After awhile I tired of the restrictions, I have gone with J.C. Taylor, they don't seem to have as many restrictions, still can't be a daily driver, but there are no mileage restrictions. I'm in the range now that requires an appraisal, but they readily accepted appraisals from another Porsche shop here in town.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Quote Originally Posted by edmayo
    I was with a popular company that advertises heavily, for many years. After awhile I tired of the restrictions, I have gone with J.C. Taylor, they don't seem to have as many restrictions, still can't be a daily driver, but there are no mileage restrictions. I'm in the range now that requires an appraisal, but they readily accepted appraisals from another Porsche shop here in town.
    I use J. C. Taylor also. They accepted my appraisal with no questions. I will be increasing the value at renewal time and they may require an appraisal. I should give them a call to find out.
    David

911 S Registry # 1054
    1970 911 E Coupe Signal Orange (#1414)
    1979 BMW 320i
    2001 Boxster S
    2003 Audi Allroad 2.7T Tiptronic
    2014 Jetta Sportwagon TDI DSG ( sold back to Volkswagen)
    2015 Allroad 2.0 TFSI

I've been with Grundy for a few years now with both the 911 and the Malibu....

Cheers
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter