Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Had a bad day

Had a bad day

I just found out today that my 15" deep 6 fuchs are not real I have the car in at Storz here in Denver for a tune up and while it was there I had them rebalance the wheels. Last month I put a set of aluminum S calipers on my car (71T Targa) and noticed that one of the front wheels had a set of stacked weights that were rubbing on the new larger calipers when I reinstalled the wheels. I just took the stacked weight off and thought I would rebalance the wheel when I had it aligned. The boys at Storz came back saying that the wheel cannot be balanced and that there are no markings indicating it is a Porsche wheel, but a repo. Does anyone know of fake early deep 6's? These wheels are old, the paint is faded and they look forged from the exterior, they are anodized, and look real to my semi-trained eye. I am really bummed out about this, and want to get a real set if this is true. I haven't pulled the wheel off to look, but I have no reason to think that they are wrong.

The difference between a real Fuchs wheel and a phony are blatently obvious when you look at the two side by side.

A quick way to tell, though, would be to weigh the wheel.
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

There are some replica deeps sizes that have been around for a while. The real fuchs will have a porsche part # that begins with 901, a 15 x 6 size stamp, a fox head and a date stamp. Some of the very early deep sixes may have contradictory parts numbers, sizes etc and rubber stamps for part #'s, these maybe no longer readable. Depending on the build date for your 71 the deep sixes may or may not be the correct wheels. Also be aware that the deep sixes are available in two style and you would want a the one w/o hearts if indeed they are correct for your car.
    Phil

Mine have hearts so they are not correct for the car, still I would rather they be real if not also correct. I looked at a set of real part number stamped sixes today at Stors Garage and they are identical to mine in every way, forging marks, finish, etc. except they were non-heart sixes. I think mine may be real just with the rubber stamp, I plan to take them off the car and look for the fox and date stamps. Since they would be early, it may be possible that they don't have the part number on them so they were mistaken as fakes. I am taking the car on a tour tomorrow with some other club folks and I will see if they agree. I may also try to submit some photos. These things are light and clearly forged. More soon. Thanks for the help.

Phil,
    Pulled the wheel, they are real fuchs . Part # 901 361 012 06 with a date stamp of 6 70 on the bridge between the bolt lands. The car build date is 6/70. The question now is this the correct wheel. It would seem so but I am guessing you can answer that. I am just happy they are real. Not sure if the guys at the shop could see the part numbers, lots of dust.
    Thanks,
    Chad

You had a good day. You must have a very early 71, what's the VIN #.
    Phil

Much better day. The car (Milt) is the 24th car of the 71 model year, very early.
    Thanks,
    Chad

I had a very early 69 E, had some of the very first deep sixes ever made, a couple of the wheels had 15 x 5.5 parts #'s and sizes, they would have been 68 leftovers. Don't always believe what the "experts" tell you.
    Phil

Thanks Phil for the info. I had the car out today on a local charity tour drive and at one point ran through the twisties with a guy in 246 Dino. It was like it was 1970 all over again. I am 35 and wasn't even born then, but it transported me. The two carburated cars were redlining and popping on decel (we were in the foothills west of Denver, where the altitude really messes with the mixture) and hitting the turns like they were part of some epic battle for the honor of the marque. It was really fun, and the P car was really strong. My car is a T but it has all S suspension, brakes, bars and sport seats. What a day.
    Chad

I'll never forget when I pulled up next to a 308 at a stop light one spring day in a 911 SC. We would have both gone to jail if a cop had been nearby. Enjoy the car they are great!
    Phil