Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ST Homologation Documents

ST Homologation Documents

Does anyone have a copy or know of a location on the web where I can obtanin a set of the 911ST FIA Homologation documents for 1970-1972?

Thanks in advance

David Moore

FIA Homologation Papers

Sorry, cannot find any FIA papers for ST in my files but thought this '66 Tour de France "carnet" for the Klass/Wutherich 904 was neat.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Early 911S Registry
    Looking for engine 960 168
    Looking for gear box 103 165

That is pretty cool Tom.

I thought you might have some ST literature....damn. I know I had the docs at one time during one of our ST restorations but I can't find it.

Anything in writing from well documented source would also help. I can't imagine having to add nearly 300 lbs to an ST to run it at Elkhart this year according to SVRA rules.

d

David,
    There are weights for the various race cars published in a few of the Porsche books if that is of any help.
    Phil

Homologation Weights as Per Sports Purpose Manual

David:

In discussing the 911S as a G.T. competitor in 1970 and 1971, in his book Excellence Was Expected, Ludvigsen states on p 626 that "With such equipment (plexi windows, alu door skins etc) it was possible to approach but not reach, the homologated 1848-pound weight. Nine elevens prepared for endurance racing in 1970 and 1971 slipped with some ease below the 2000-pound mark and could scale as little as 1918 pounds at the curb, less fuel."

As Ludvigsen is THE authoritative source of knowledge, and wrote his book with full access to all the factory records and archival material, I would think that his unequivocal statement that the homologated weight for 1970 and 1971 was 1848 pounds should be good enough for SVRA.

Just for information, the earlier Sports Purpose Manual for '68 (before all the grp, plexi and alu body bits were homologated) states:
    "Vehicles participating in competitions must have the following vehicle weights as prescribed by the FIA Homologation Sheet:

974 kg (2147 lb) for the 911, 911 L and 911 S

923 kg (2035) for the 911 T

To take into account production tolerances it is necessary for each vehicle to be checked before use in competitions for any variation from the homologation weight, and if necessary adjusted by the following means:
    a) Weight incresase by installation of accessories
    b) Weight reduction by removal of underseal and soundproof coating, bumper reinforcements"

The table of data on pg 226 in the book Porsche Legends shows the 1970 911ST/GT Monte Carlo winner weighed 960 kg (with 100L steel tank) in Rally trim.

The Sports Purpose Manual for 70 does not provide details relating to homologated weight. Perhaps Ernie has copies of the FIA papers that he could post or send to you.

In conclusion David, it looks like you will have to ballast UP to at least 1848 pounds...
    Early 911S Registry

Quote Originally Posted by Flunder
    David:

In conclusion David, it looks like you will have to ballast UP to at least 1848 pounds...
    That would be easy by adding 50 lbs. They want the ridiculous amount of 2134 lbs. So we are talking about 286 lbs of lead. Where they came up with that number I have no idea but as usual someone has a burr under their...for Porsche. Have you ever sat down and calculated how many standard 8" x 3" x 3.5" lead ingots that is? I might as well weld a shopping cart in the passenger seat to hold it all.

I will fight hard on this as SVRA is supposed to be about keeping the cars that raced "pure" as they raced....adding that much weight not only defeats that but is damn dangerous in my opinion.

But I really need "good solid bullets" and the FIA homologation docs are the best ammunition I can think of for now.

Also, it is easy to get to those weights with a real ST. Remember their chassis had special thin metal, the doors were thin aluminum, the fenders and bumpers, hood and decklid were all fiberglass. All the windows were plexi and the windshield was a very thin laminate. Only in rally trim do you push the weight.

FIA Homogation Papers

David:

I will try to obtain some FIA information tomorrow - but may take a while.

Tom
    Early 911S Registry

Quote Originally Posted by Flunder
    David:

I will try to obtain some FIA information tomorrow - but may take a while.

Tom
    Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've got to get the rules back in order or it will affect a great number of other competitors. It simply is not fair.

Thanks Tom,

d

Svra

I havn't run the SVRA for many years,but as I RECALL the car has to have period race history;sveral years ago ,several competitors were making cheater 911's and blowing the doors off real cars ,SVRA WAS STARTING TO LOSE MEMBERS;I don't think getting FIA papers will make your car a ST ,no matter what mod's you do;you're better off checking with the SVRA RULES COMMITTEE