Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Details Details! Which Speaker Grille Is Correct For A 1969-1973?

glills!!!!!

So, the glill on the botom is for a 69 only?

I beleive the bottom one is 1969 only.
    Its the same graphic design (but not size) like 1968 but its a removable 69 grill vs. 68 grill which is not.
    The +1974 have square ones...as seen in Brian Longs 71-77 book page 90 and the 74 Brochure.
    My 1971 has the square one on top.
    Registry member No.773

No No No

In the original photo the top grille is the correct style for 1969 to 1974 for all cars.

I own a 69, 73 and 74 and all grilles are the same rectangular shape and rectangular pattern for speaker holes

The 69 however is a different size (length and width) but 70 - 74 are certainly the same and probably years after that also.

The second pic with the cut off corners for the speaker holes is from a factory dash produced as a replacement for original dashes in an attempt to stop the cracking and warping of the speaker grille
    Clyde Boyer

1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed
    1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed my first ever 911 (1995)

Early S Registry Member #294
    First Aussie R Gruppe Member #366
    TYP 901 Register Inc #6

factory attempt!

Did it work?

Yes I think it did I haven't seen too many of this style cracked but they are much younger than the originals also.

Raj,

The top pic you posted has a replacement dash available from Porsche after they deleted the original removebale speaker grille style and before they bought back the removeable speaker style with the octaganol pattern speaker holes.

Not sure what books your looking in but my 69S was #25 made and it has the removeable speaker grille as I believe did all others that left the factory

Your sporto is correct for style but I suspect lots of 69 cars have had their dashes replaced with 70 onwards dashes and later owners would have no clue that the original dash was unique.
    Clyde Boyer

TYP 901 Register Inc #6

Clyde,
    That's interesting I just bought a 73 that has same grille as the one in Raj's car. Do you know what years those were available, I have had a few cars with that style.
    Phil

Lightbulb

Hang on guys......

As far as I know, for a '73, Clyde is right...

About 20 years ago (when I did my car) all that was readily available from the factory was either a perforated dash without a separate grill, or the plan dash without anything on top. The pic of the later car without a separate grill but with diagonal perforation looks like one of the two factory replacements. I elected to run the plan perforation-less one. They were both the same price at the time... around $460. While restoring my car I heard of a new factory dash with the speaker grill I could have for a mere $1100 ... now all these prices were in 1989 dollars... I decided to stay with the plan. I still have my original dash with grill... and I still have the 20 year old plan dash in my car today.....

OK:

- The plan replacement dash in my car today
    - The original dash in my attic
    - The original speaker grill
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Gees Raj you give in easy.....talk to Smith, he doesn't know .... Ha Ha

I stand by what I said your first pic has a non 69 factory dash.

In the end I'd love to be corrected if I am wrong, thats part of the value of this site, to learn things and I for one won't take offence if you prove me wrong.

Thanks for the support Chuck
    Clyde Boyer

TYP 901 Register Inc #6

My understanding of the various dash/speaker grille permutations has always been what Clyde stated - the dash without a removeable grille but with speaker perforations was the original replacement dash available from Porsche (before they introduced the version with a separate speaker grille with the different hole pattern) ...
    Andy

Early 911S Reg #753
    R Gruppe #105

And I still stand by what I said although willing to be 'proved' wrong.
    If anyone can show me a pre 74 car from the factory with the second grille, from new, I will back down.

Chuck

There is a guy in the UK (not me) who could really use that dash in your attic if for sale and not too badly cracked. Just asking.........

Regards
    Mike
    RS#1551(sold)
    67S
    73E (home after 25 years) and sold again
    Early S reg. #681