Thread: TOP on 2.2 Oil Control Ring?

TOP on 2.2 Oil Control Ring?

Ringers,

My new Goetze Rings for my 2.2T are marked "TOP" except for the oil control ring. Looking at it, I am not able to tell from the profile any difference on the inside our outside edges-therefore no top or bottom. So, since a. it is no top marking and b. I can see no difference, I think it must not matter. I can't find, though, a reference in any of my assembly books for this (Pelican, workshop manual or Anderson); that is there is no mention that for some oil control rings there is not top or bottom. Here is a photo (with the spring part of the ring not shown). Please help, that is confirm? Thanks.
    -Allen-
    Attached Images Attached Images  

TOP on 2.2 Oil

It has been my experience that if the ring orientation matters it will be marked somehow. There are one piece oil rings that do have a different profile on the outer ribs, and it is obvious which is up. Your ring clearly is symetrical on the outer ribs, therefore with that and no markings I would agree that there is no specific up or down.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

!

Quote Originally Posted by edmayo
    It has been my experience that if the ring orientation matters it will be marked somehow. There are one piece oil rings that do have a different profile on the outer ribs, and it is obvious which is up. Your ring clearly is symetrical on the outer ribs, therefore with that and no markings I would agree that there is no specific up or down.
    Hi Ed,

Thanks! That is what I figured, it was just that I NEVER saw a mention of "unmarked" rings. And the (confusing) wordless diagram that comes with each Goetze ring set shows a non-symmetrical Oil ring(s) in the picture but, then on the other hand it shows a three piece one too-not what I have. So, I guess the pictures cover all variations or try to but a symmetrical one is not show. So, Not to be pedantic....So, you have seen and used unmarked rings?

-Allen-

Yes, and like you, it really makes me stop, look, and, make sure I'm not missing something. What really gets my attention is when the top rings aren't marked. That's when I get out my magnifier and carefully search the ring for some kind of marking, then I study the profile carefully to see what style it might be. There are many different profiles for top rings, and there are some that have a symetrical face (barrel type for instance) and there is no up or down. It always pays to question everything!!
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Quote Originally Posted by edmayo
    Yes, and like you, it really makes me stop, look, and, make sure I'm not missing something. What really gets my attention is when the top rings aren't marked. That's when I get out my magnifier and carefully search the ring for some kind of marking, then I study the profile carefully to see what style it might be. There are many different profiles for top rings, and there are some that have a symetrical face (barrel type for instance) and there is no up or down. It always pays to question everything!!
    Hi Ed (is it hot in Texas )

I really appreciate the answer. Yes, we need to be careful! All my Goetze set was in order, top labeled on the the two different thickness compression rings, no problem there. Can we ever be too careful? Now I can sleep!!

-Allen-

Well.....as a matter of fact it was a little toasty today, heard on the radio on the way home it made 100.....BUT ITS A DRY HEAT!!!!!Jeeze, I can't believe I said that. Actually the humidity is fairly low, in the twenties, not as dry as Arizona though. I was out in the heat of the day doing the yard work at the shop and was a little sweaty, but I have sweated much much more in Ohio when it was only eighty, but that was both temperature AND humidity!
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.