Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BMW R25 'barn find'

BMW R25 'barn find'

Picked this up Saturday evening. Last ridden in 1975 been parked since. Owned by same guy (and his brother) since the '60s. Missing a few bits and there is not one piece of sheetmetal that is ding free but it's mine!

Some before and after wash pics. Bike will be coming apart for what i think will be a pretty involved resto. It surely is a LOT easier to wrap your head around a bike than a car when it comes to a 'to do' list.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Erik

Early S # 1107

All my german equipment is either busted or sold...sigh....in the market for a decent non-sunroof tub!!!!!!! Help me get back to autocrossing!!!

one of the after; note how much better front wheel look after a lot of elbow grease. not doing rear wheel until everything is apart.
    Erik

Early S # 1107

All my german equipment is either busted or sold...sigh....in the market for a decent non-sunroof tub!!!!!!! Help me get back to autocrossing!!!

Congrats on the bike, nice find ! I don't know how to post photos but here is a link to my recent "barn" (really a shed) find. It's a 1967 Bultaco Metralla Mk II. I'm now just waiting for delivery, can't wait !!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...253668059&rd=1
    Joe Annicelli
    Early 911S Registry #751
    Polo Red/Black 1967 Porsche 911S Coupe "Walter"
    Black/Red 1967 Alfa GTJr. Coupe "Nero"
    Italian Red 1994 Ducati 900SS/SP looks fast standing still
    Italian Red 1957 Gilera 150 Sport

Ahhhh the sixties... I envision myself one early Saturday morning wearing plaid shorts, black shoes with white socks smoking a cigarette heading to the hardware store to buy a bag of nails.
    SWB cars are an acquired taste however once acquired theirs no turning back.

Stay with it and you shall be rewarded!

My project from 2001, a BMW a 1973 R75/5. Found it on e-bay as part of an estate sale.
    Stefan Josef Koch
    RGruppe #194/SRegistry #1063
    1969 Porsche 911E, Light Ivory (38 years and counting)
    2015 Porsche Cayman S
    2012 BMW R1200GS, 1973 BMW R75/5

"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools." -E. Hemingway

Lovely R75!

That Bultaco is pretty cool as well. I am digging the smallish bikes for sure. This past winter I happened to stop in a machine shop near Baltimore and the owner had a few Bultacos in various states of repair. Neat stuff.

Have gotten a few comments that i should make an effort to get the bike running before tearing it apart and i MAY do that. Depends on how lucky i am in finding a carb and how the top end looks when i remove it.
    Erik

Early S # 1107

Quote Originally Posted by berettafan
    Have gotten a few comments that i should make an effort to get the bike running before tearing it apart
    Good idea... When I picked mine up I made sure it turned over and would fire, it would not run as the carbs were a mess.

Tom Bridger (Sithot) can tell you all about restoring an older BMW

Bultaco's are fabulous... If you find a Hodaka in all that let me know...
    Stefan Josef Koch
    RGruppe #194/SRegistry #1063
    1969 Porsche 911E, Light Ivory (38 years and counting)
    2015 Porsche Cayman S
    2012 BMW R1200GS, 1973 BMW R75/5

"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools." -E. Hemingway

Barn Find

You are lucky your close to Bobs BMW and check out Craig Voretch in GA he is a master with the early bikes..good luck
    Ron

1973.5 911T
    1974 BMW R90/6
    1986 Carrera, Plan "B"
    1987 BMW K100RS Motorsport
    2004 BMW X3 6 speed manual transmisson

Looking forward to visiting Bob's so i can shoot some bikes in their museum for reference.

Have already ordered from Uli's but not yet Bobs. Uli's has a fantastic parts lookup system using the diagrams from the parts manuals.

Pulled the cylinder last night; will get pics up later...
    Erik

Early S # 1107

And my new toy

The day before Erik had sent me photos of his new bike I had made a 13 hour round trip to pick up my new toy, a 65 R69S. Sithot knew my weak spot for these wierd big old Heinrich tanks and must have been tired of me bugging him to sell me one of his fine bikes so he threw this one from a friend my way. It sat in a basement from 1971 to 1997 when the original owner sold it with just 10,000 miles on it. He added the aluminum Heinrich tank (and fairing now removed but included) in 1966. Now with just 12,500 miles on it I have only needed to do a little fine cleaning and drain old fluids. Can't wait to get it running.
    Daron

Jeees! Both of you I envy...that tank is BIG BUCKS! Remember while your are going through the bike that the motor lub is from slingers on the crank and must be cleaned....Crag V. in Norcross Ga is the master tech, give him a ring and he will tell you all that will need to be checked, good luck. Ron
    Ron

1973.5 911T
    1974 BMW R90/6
    1986 Carrera, Plan "B"
    1987 BMW K100RS Motorsport
    2004 BMW X3 6 speed manual transmisson