Thread: Not Starting

Not Starting

Hi All,

Just started playing with the car, swapped the battery for an Odyssey battery, car kicked over a couple of times then nothing

There is power, interior lights on etc, and a werrring from the engine but no kick.........do i need to roll the car forwards/backwards to re-engage the starter motor.......i am not sure what the issue is so only guessing.....anybody got there 2 cents as to what it might be.....

Double check the connections.....(sorry, obvious).
    Aaron Hatz
    Flat Six, inc.
    www.flat6.com

Follow us on Facebook
    www.facebook.com/flatsixinc

mmmmmm

I'll go and try again.......going to be pretty if thats all it is

and on the other hand relieved

Connections good

Going to try the old battery again

no go

seems the same little gremlin is there, could i have blown a fuse ? lights work........strange

The whirling sound could be the starter...Or a bad spot on the flywheel try putting it in gear and pushing it a few inchs to see if the starter is engaging the flywheel.
    Tony Proasi

52 split window coupe

Quote Originally Posted by shipard
    Hi All,

Just started playing with the car, swapped the battery for an Odyssey battery, car kicked over a couple of times then nothing

There is power, interior lights on etc, and a werrring from the engine but no kick.........do i need to roll the car forwards/backwards to re-engage the starter motor.......i am not sure what the issue is so only guessing.....anybody got there 2 cents as to what it might be.....
    Check the battery and the battery connections. Make sure all connections are secure and the sheet metal contact area is clean. There's also an important ground wire at the gearbox mount. A minimum threshold current path is usually enough to power low-power circuits. The starter motor needs all the current path it can get.

Assuming the battery and battery circuit is okay, it could be many things, but here's one thing to try. If the ignition switch doesn't activate the starter, bypass it with a direct battery connection at the starter solenoid (jumper the yellow wire terminal at the solenoid to the large battery cable terminal). Take the usual precautions (gearbox in neutral, block tire, use remote starter switch, etc.). No response with the above temporary bypass connection means an issue with the starter assembly (solenoid and/or motor). Normal operation with the above temp. connection means a possible issue with the ignition switch.

If this is beyond your tech. abilities, ask your local Pcar tech. and/or return with a progress report.

Hope this helps,
    Sherwood

Work in Progress

I have to get the rear tyres replaced, as the car is currently unregistered, the rear of the car is up on jack stands. Luckily this gives me a good chance to look under the rear of the car and time to work on the not starting issue.

I have been away so going to try the previous suggestions, i think it may be starter motor is dead........guess i am about to find out soon.

Thanks for the tips guys, I'll be back with an update soon as i can
    Clayton Shipard
    Sydney, NSW Australia
    1972 911 2.4S
    2000 Boxster S