Thread: Hello Mr. Pete Stout

Hello Mr. Pete Stout

I would like to contact Mr. Pete Stout, Editor of Excellence Magazine, regarding re-printing an Excellence article about my car in the Esses newsletter. I have already cleared this with the author of the article.

Does anyone have an email address or a method to contact him?

Thanks very much.
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

PM sent Max...

Cheers
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

If you've cleared it with the author, you should be fine. The author is the copyright owner unless Excellence or a contract or staff photgrapher/artist contributed some aspect of the story (illustrations, photos, etc.).

Sherwood

I cleared it with the author and sent an email to Mr. Stout.

Actually, I ran into the author today on "the Snake" past the Rock Store. He was doing another photo shoot/ article/ drive for Forza. He remembered me and flagged me down yelling "Hi Max". He is a great guy- Zach Mayne. He said it was fine with him but to ask Excellence because they have more legal rights and stuff like that.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Flieger
    I cleared it with the author and sent an email to Mr. Stout.

Actually, I ran into the author today on "the Snake" past the Rock Store. He was doing another photo shoot/ article/ drive for Forza. He remembered me and flagged me down yelling "Hi Max". He is a great guy- Zach Mayne. He said it was fine with him but to ask Excellence because they have more legal rights and stuff like that.

Cool
    I hope Mayne's comment isn't taken to mean Excellence has more legal rights than the copyright owner. That isn't normally the case.

However, since I'm not privy to the agreements between Mayne and Stout, you should clarify with Mr. Stout.

Sherwood

Yes, I am waiting patiently for Mr. Stout's reply. Hopefully on Monday when he gets into the office.

Mr. Mayne told me it sounded cool and was fine with him. He didn't seem to know the legal status off hand and was unfamiliar with the reprint process. He said to check with the magazine.

What I remember about Copyright from my Legal Aspects of Communication class:

When an article is sold to a publication the publication is buying the rights to "First Publication" of said article. Once the article has been published, copyright reverts back to the author. The exception to this is when copyrights are expressly forfeited via a written contract.

The above statement is by no means specific to this case - it's more of a general guideline to the situation. Every publishing house has specific rules/regulations/contracts that they follow, so it is always best to discuss the specific details of a situation with the EIC or publisher.
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

I got an email from Mr. Stout today.

I am good to go