Thread: 380mm Wheel

380mm Wheel

needs to be recovered, can send directly to Tony at Autobahn for a double-wrap restoration.

Part number: 914 347 804 11, date code 3/72

$200 + shipping.

Tru6 Restoration & Design
    69S Targa, Velvet Green
    73T Coupe, Gemini Blue
    Early S Registry #1462

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun 69 E
    needs to be recovered, can send directly to Tony at Autobahn for a double-wrap restoration.

Part number: 914 347 804 11, date code 3/72

$350 + shipping.

We need to see the front "horn button" off to see if it will go on a 911 no problemo.

-Allen-

Regis turd ab user
    It won't, you'll need part #'s 803.10, 804.10, 805.10, 806.10 all preceeded by 914 347

here it is on my E. note that the plastic collar and cancel ring have been removed, fits quite nicely. I don't know what else would be needed to make it fit. Came with a car I'm parting out.

69S Targa, Velvet Green
    73T Coupe, Gemini Blue
    Early S Registry #1462

Regis turd ab user
    Shaun, I believe Allen is referring to the wheels that will accomadate a 911 cancelling plate, the pre drilled and counter sunk models (flat center hub under horn pad)

Quote Originally Posted by 911s55
    Shaun, I believe Allen is referring to the wheels that will accomadate a 911 cancelling plate, the pre drilled and counter sunk models (flat center hub under horn pad)
    That is correct. The back of your wheel will need to be modified to fit well. One thing I don't know is that if there are any problems with the fact that the nut is countersunk on the front of the wheel? Thanks.

-Allen-

Allen, I can supply a standard early 911 wheel with which to swap the center hub.

Will post some pics later tonight. thank you for your patience.
    69S Targa, Velvet Green
    73T Coupe, Gemini Blue
    Early S Registry #1462

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun 69 E
    Allen, I can supply a standard early 911 wheel with which to swap the center hub. it has the turn cancel cast into the hub as near as I can tell.

Will post some pics later tonight. thank you for your patience.
    Thanks for that info.; I am not a potential buyer for it however. It is very difficult to swap the hubs as the rivets are special and you need special tools. The machining for the cancel ring is, I understand, the best option.

-Allen-

Allen, here's what I have learned in the last hour:

911 hub w/ cancel ring

Just the 911 hub

Another 911 hub, this one removed from wheel by drilling out the rivets (this wheel was "challenged", so it made the ultimate sacrifice in the name of 911/914 R&D

914 hub

914 hub with 911 cancel ring laid on top

Clearly the 914 380mm steering wheel fits nicely on a 911, the hubs are virtually identical save for the 911 has countersunk holes for the cancel ring. the area under the cancel ring is also countersunk by .5mm+ as well to accommodate the cancel ring. That said, I believe the cancel ring would be fine mounted directly on the 914 hub and in turn mounted on the 911 steering shaft.

I see two ways to accomplish mounting this particular 380mm wheel on a 911 with the turn signal cancel fully functional.

1. Countersink the 2 existing 914 holes and mount the 911 cancel ring directly. You would need to drill 2 new holes in the 911 cancel ring to line up, which is probably better than drilling, countersinking and tapping new holes in the 914 hub. This is a 10 minute job.

2. Drill out the 914 solid rivets and install a 911 hub with new solid rivets. http://www.rivetsinstock.com/rivet67.htm Any machine shop should be able to rivet the new 911 hub in place. Alternatively, use the same countersunk bolts and nuts used to hold Momo wheels onto hubs. the allen head bolt fits the countersunk hub perfectly.
    69S Targa, Velvet Green
    73T Coupe, Gemini Blue
    Early S Registry #1462

If you search on RS or 380mm Steering Wheels, you will find a ton of information on this topic. Included, is all that has been discussed in this thread here-to-for.

-Allen-