Thread: Where's this water from?

Where's this water from?

I got stuck traveling with my 69 targa in a torrential downpour that lasted 25 minutes. I was actually pretty surprised that the original top side seals held out the rain pretty good. Passenger side only dripped a few drops and driver side let in enough the leave some good spots on my shirt. The curiosity I have that I am asking for assistance on is two other leaks that I discovered. One developed after 10 minutes or so down by the driver door front map pocket. I saw drips on the top of the grab but couldn't see anything coming in from the top seal or vent window area. I stuffed my hat in the pocket to keep water from collecting there. 10 minutes after that, I noticed water dripping down the lower houndstooth just under my fuel guage. When I got home, I looked up from below, & I could see the water had traveled on the side of the metal dash frame corner, along the bottom of the dash, and then down by the hazard swithch. I noticed a bit of rust in this area so apparently this leak has been around a while. Does this sound like the classic front windscreen gasket leak? Does the seal tween the fender and body give? I just had a glass out resto done last year, so the body seals are new, and the w/shield channel was clean (n0 rust). Perhaps the targ top front seal is catching some water and the it runs down inside the pillar?
    Joe

--------
    '69 E Targa "Roxie"
    Early S #937

Hi,

I recognise your story, I have had the same and apparently this comes from water seeping thru the window rubber and can be easily fixed by putting some kind of window sealer in there, ask you local porsche garage.
    You don't need to get the window out.

good luck !

Go to your local auto paint supply store; it made by 3M Window-Weld and comes in a caulking tube. It is the stuff that DOESN'T harden (there are two types). It is black and very gooey. You buy the tube and a can of 3M adhesive remover for cleanup. You run a fat bead under your window rubber to hold out the water. Just make sure the car is fully dry prior so you don't trap water. A day in the summer sun will do.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

makes sense. My rubber is relatively new and supple so it lifts and reshapes easily. I suppose once you get the tip of the sealant under the lip it should go fairly easy.
    Joe

--------
    '69 E Targa "Roxie"
    Early S #937

Exactly the way you do it.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

How about a suggestion to pull the window, stop/delete the rust, then reinstall with a new seal (and sealant)?

If there's rust under the seal (trust me, there is), new sealant isn't going to stop the rusting.

Sherwood

http://www.amazon.com/3M-08609-Windo.../dp/B000FW61EW

I guess you put it between the glass and the seal?

No need to also go between the seal and the metal?