Page 62 of 147 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472112 ... LastLast

Thread: Show me satanic details...please.

I am sure this will be interpreted as a multiple violation of what I believe to be the original spirit of this fine thread, but I'm going to sing the praises of a stellar detail someone else's stellar detail, and illustrate the post with a purloined shot lifted from someone else's 15 page Essen "trip report" originally posted by Ferry man on DDK.

I just think the little "well" sunk into the cowling of the 911 for the master cut-off switch ranks right up there with the GT alum. Speedster bumper trim on Leon Kreger's tangerine '73, and has taken pride of place of all satanic details in my view.........the list of must-have details still to be inflicted upon Ruprecht just keeps getting longer and longer. These damned things really never are finished, are they ?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Before it became Ruprecht, my Porsche was a '70 911 T

Paying member No. 895 since 2006

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."
    Rob Dickinson's response when asked what motivated him to build Singers

May I be the devil's advocate on the satanic thread?

At what point are we slipping into the mindset that transformed classic 50's custom cars into tasteless 60's Kustoms? "That mindset-"change for the sake of change."
    In other words, there is no historical precedence and it isnt neccesarily cleaner or better...it's just different. Why go to all that work to build a swimming pool for an electrical device? IMO we need to K.I.S.S.- Keep It Simple SReg.
    Renn-Spot - Cars & parts For Sale - http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/
    1970 911"S" - Black (originally silver)
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    1973 911"T" - Bahia Red - Now Sold
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

Quote Originally Posted by Cornpanzer View Post
    In other words, there is no historical precedence and it isnt neccesarily cleaner or better...it's just different. Why go to all that work to build a swimming pool for an electrical device?
    Dave, I agree with you.

Just because we can does not mean we should.

If you really like it, OK, it is your car.
    65 356SC Dolphin Gray
    66 912 Green
    69 911E Tangerine
    72 911T GP White
    72 911T Aubergine
    72 911T Lilac
    72 911S Black (voodoo)
    86 911 GP White Targa (now sons)
    90 964C4 Black Targa
    94 964C2 Black Coupe
    08 GT3 Speed Yellow

Its a nice bit of fabricating and isnt tasteless or anything bad. I just think we need to be careful no too lose the plot. I think a lot of us are afraid of calling a project complete...which is probably why I keep tearing my car apart.
    Renn-Spot - Cars & parts For Sale - http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/
    1970 911"S" - Black (originally silver)
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    1973 911"T" - Bahia Red - Now Sold
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

Quote Originally Posted by andyjboy View Post
    Jens - they're steel centres rivetted to alloy rims - 5 1/2 & 6 x 15". Made to special order for me in Australia.

The 'longer term' project in my signature is a Martin & Walker 904 replica that's been on-going for the past 2-3 years & they're one of the sets of wheels I have for that (the other is a set of 6/7x15 steels).

I had thought about posting details of the build process here (in the 'Other Porsche Passions' section) but didn't know whether it was relevant.
    Yes please. I have been looking at M&W's 904 for some time and would love to see the progress.

Peter
    1968 Coupe
    901/10 with 2.2 Ps and Cs
    Webers
    911/01
    7s on all corners
    Now Sold

Quote Originally Posted by Cornpanzer View Post
    . . . At what point are we slipping into . . . That mindset-"change for the sake of change". . .
    +1

And I'll go a step further . . .

. . . When does one cross the line from 'car' . . . . to 'Christmas tree'?

We Can Be Heroes

Here's my take-

What I love about the myriad demonic details is the creativity and original thought that is so evident in those details. It's a departure from the "formula" modded car. I'm not going to name the de rigeur mods that we've all seen a thousand times, but you know what I mean. It gets to the point sometimes that at any given meet you see 20 examples of identically modified cars only in different colors. I still love them, but here are posted some very interesting and original solutions to making a car different; lighter and faster and more personal.

Dave, it would surely be crazy to see all these 65 pages of demonic details on one car!! Someone is going to try, you wait and see!

Zitronengelb R1012 the RatBasterd
    RGruppe #183

Quote Originally Posted by LongRanger View Post
    'Christmas tree'?
    I like that analogy. My 71 will be returning to home soil soon (after a 10 month hiatus) and I have had plans for a while to remove some of the ... umm ... ornaments

That which doesn't make it faster, goes back on the shelf.

p.s. I had to use those rubber hood hold-downs 'cuz I got no latch.

Zitronengelb R1012 the RatBasterd
    RGruppe #183

Bingo! . . .

Quote Originally Posted by CurtEgerer View Post
    . . . I like that analogy . . . some of the ... umm ... ornaments . . .
    . . . you got it!

Like my Ungrateful Offspring(ette) says . . . just 'cause something fits --- doesn't mean you should wear it

Attached Images Attached Images   

We Can Be Heroes