Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Brake Fluid to use ?

Which Brake Fluid to use ?

Hi Guys,

Just wondering which brake fluid do you guys use and why ?

Dot 4 or Dot 5, given the car is going to be 95% Street use

Cheers

Shipard
    Clayton Shipard
    Sydney, NSW Australia
    1972 911 2.4S
    2000 Boxster S

I have been alternating between ATE Blue and Gold. Why? Good BPs, only about $10/liter and I can tell when the old stuff is fully flushed (color changes).
    Harry

Member #789
    1970 VW Sunroof Kombi Bus - "The Magic Bus"
    1973.5 911T Targa for fun - "Smokey"
    2009 MB C300

Almost any thing better than that 'silicone' stuff , the pedal is always "spongy" with silicone brake fluid, yuk!

Clayton...

A good old standard for street applications is Castrol LMA

Inexpensive and usually available at your local flaps:
    Exceeds DOT 3 and DOT 4 requirements. Unique Low Moisture Activity (LMA) Exceeds specifications SAE 1703, SAE 1704, ISO 4925, JIS K2233 and FMVSS No. 116 DOT 3 and DOT 4.
    Castrol LMA Specifications:
    DOT Rating - 4
    Dry Boiling Point - 446°F
    Wet Boiling Point - 311°F
    Compatible with other fluids - Yes

As mentioned The ATE Super Blue/Gold is an excellent fluid for track or street..

And as noted stay away from the DOT 5 silicone stuff....you don't want this!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Good to hear that GTLMA is the porsche flavor of choice as well. Universally used in british car circles as well (other than those who must have the red look of girling crimson).

Thanks Guys

Thanks for the advice, the car is currently up on jack stands so I thought i may as well replace the flexible brake lines and bleed the brakes at the same time

The car is slowly getting ready to be registered.......I can hardly wait to be able to drive it. That said it is going to be about 2 months, work and budget permitting before its ready to be driven on the road regularly.

Thanks again guys, it great to be part of the early 911 community
    Clayton Shipard
    Sydney, NSW Australia
    1972 911 2.4S
    2000 Boxster S

I use the Castrol GT LMA. It performs well in my humble opinion. I just wish it was that cool blue color like the ATE stuff so I could see it in the fluid tank, vent tube, and when bleeding/flushing the system.
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

LMA is on the low end of a group of HD fluids. Perfectly fine for street use though. Some HD fluids and specs:

http://members.rennlist.org/911pcars/brakefluid.htm

Sherwood

Thanks for the helpful advice I bought the castrol brake fluid and replaced the fluid today. It was also to see if this would fix the slightly sticking left front brake caliper........good news it fixed that issue and now all the calipers seem much happier........and the brake pedal feels ten times better.
    Clayton Shipard
    Sydney, NSW Australia
    1972 911 2.4S
    2000 Boxster S

Quote Originally Posted by Flieger
    I use the Castrol GT LMA. It performs well in my humble opinion. I just wish it was that cool blue color like the ATE stuff so I could see it in the fluid tank, vent tube, and when bleeding/flushing the system.
    Blue dyes your reservoir....Use ATE Gold its basically the same as the Blue without the dye. We don't put any ATE blue in cars if we can at all help it )only if customer requests).

d