Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FS: Rare Curta Type I Mechanical Calculator

FS: Rare Curta Type I Mechanical Calculator

I have a really nice item that I am going to offer up to the rally collectors here before I put it up for auction. This is a Curta Type I calculator that was used in rally and road race timing before the advent of electronic calculators. Even after the electronic versions were introduced, they were not very reliable, so rally and race teams continued using the Curta for their calculations. This would be a really nice addition to the collection of someone who is favors those hard to find race timing and scoring items.

This calculator was purchased new by my father in 1964 or 1965 in Germany and has been in my possession for a loooong time. I think it is a really nice piece and have admired it for years - ever since I was a little boy. Well, I figured that it is time for it to go to someone who will enjoy it as a part of their collection. With all the interest in vintage rallying and the timing/scoring stuff, I thought that this might be a group that would appreciate such an item.

It is a late (I believe) Type I Ser. 43,329. The calculator itself is in absolutely perfect (and I do mean perfect) condition. It has the original case also that is in excellent condition. I have the two manuals that are also in excellent condition, but I can only find the calculation examples manual at this time. You should assume that it only comes with one manual, but when I find the other one, I will send it to the new owner. Now, I have seen these valued between $600 for a poor condition machine and over $4,000 for a very rare early Type I in excellent condition. Privately, I originally placed the value of this at $1,500, but am going to re-offer it publicly to the forum for $1,300. PM me if you have any questions.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Scott H.
    1969 Coupe LtWt
    1973.5 911T

Looks like a pepper grinder with my reading glasses off. Raj, can you help with that??

e

It's parts like this that make this board such a wonderful resource for the community. Beautiful piece ... thanks for sharing.
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

Jeez Eric, those photos look fine to me, but my glasses are off. Yeah sorry about the blurry portion of some pics. I have a macro lens that I have not quite figured out. Depth of field was too narrow for taking pics of this. If anyone wants clearer or more photos, just let me know and I will take more. Glad you appreciate the item guys. Hope I didn't under price it...
    Scott H.
    1969 Coupe LtWt
    1973.5 911T

I think I'm too young to even know how to use the damn thing

Quote Originally Posted by Baron
    I think I'm too young to even know how to use the damn thing
    Yes Chuck. But I will show you some time.
    Karl: E911SR #792 ; RG #420 ; GS #7

'72T Coupe - Sepia Brown

Raj,
    The case is metal as is the crank. You are correct in that there are no scuffs on the calculator itself. It is as close to new as you can get - kind of like a 15,000 mile SWB 911 The case has some small scuffing, but is still in excellent condition overall. Unfortunately, I do not have the original box. Whoever ends up with this is going to be very happy with its condition. Thanks for everyone's interest.
    Scott H.
    1969 Coupe LtWt
    1973.5 911T

hi Scott;
    if it will help, i will provide a Xerox copy of either of the pieces pictured below. Curtas are terrific instruments built like a swiss watch.
    cheers
    jerry

typ901,
    I actually have the top manual. The second manual that I have, but am still looking for is like the bottom one. I thought it was slightly different, but I could be wrong. I was looking at it and the calculator about a year or more ago and probably put it in a drawer separate from the calculator. I will find it though. Thank you for the offer to copy the manuals. I may take you up on that.
    Scott H.
    1969 Coupe LtWt
    1973.5 911T

Talking

A friend who was an SCCA rally master with his BMW 1600 in the early seventies had one of these calculaters. We laid out some "fun" rallies for Porsche events and he'd crank away on that thing along with the 3 Heuer
    stop watches he had hanging in his car. The car had special corrected speedometers with all sorts of adjustments. What a circus act!
    The first rally my wife and I ran using our 356 with just our wrist watches, we had zero seconds off on 2 stages and 2 seconds over on the third. Didn't have a clue what we were doing, made 1 wrong turn and had to backtrack. Our first and last rally. Our friend got so discouraged, he quit SCCA rally competition. Moral? All that crap hanging in a Bimmer can make you high strung.
    Anyway those little Curta devices are neat. Reason I won't buy it, have different wife now
    Duane Hyatt