Thread: Finally picked up the 1971 . . . .

Talking Finally picked up the 1971 . . . .

My roommate came out and saw it and said is was "so you."

After a month of waiting and what amounted to nearly 14 hours round trip (should have taken 8 hours) I now have the 1971 911T Targa back home.

She certainly needs some work, but I think she is solid enough to save. From the brief bit I drove her around (I have an oil leak which is smoking on the exhaust) she went quite well and stopped well too. Not bad for sitting as long as she did--there is a 1999 inspection sticker on her.

She has a fiberglass front S bumper and fiberglass front fenders (both installed about as well as you would think). Cheap black paint (over the original silver metallic and what looks to be a viper or metallic green respray). For now she is getting rattle can epoxy black over the primered spots to make her presentable.

Some quick questions (links would be ideal) on the critical issues:

1. I need to get it back to stock (US) height so I can run stock height tires. Please tell/show me how. Also, some idiot decided to weld up the torsion bar holes in the quarter panels so I assume I have to cut some holes back in there (no biggy, the rear quarters are what needs paint anyway).

2. The longitudinal rust does not appear too horrible. Seems like only one side needs immediate attention. I want to tackle this along with the ride height adjustment. In fact the rusted out corner (PS rear) seems the lowest so I am guessing there might be some bad news when I start taking that apart.

3. Oil leak[s]. Have to figure out where it is coming from but it seems like the axles are leaking at the flanges where they meet the transmission. What kind of seal is there? Just a paper gasket? Can I use RTV to seal it? I am sure there are other leaks, but this seems like the smoke culprit. It has the newer style valve covers.

4. Is there a targa top owner's manual? I am not sure how to work it.

My goal is to have her presentable enough for four good pictures to get my PA antique plates as soon as possible. After that she is a rolling restoration with "patina" intact.

Thanks,

Ron

The easy question first...do you have the owner's manual for the car? That should tell you what need for operation of the targa top.
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

No owners manual.

I did manage to poke a few more rust holes in her today though.

Ron

Easier answer: whether the car has been raised to US height or lowered to Euro height won't make a difference regarding the size of tires you can run.

The first thing to do is take one of the wheels off and read its size on the back. If it's stock, people here can tell you exactly what tires will fit on those wheels.

Very low profile tires really only address fitment issues when you're running considerably wider than stock tires, or if the car's been 'slammed' down to something well below Euro height.

Ok, great. I asked before about 205 70 R14 and the consensus was "maybe."

I am worried that the car is so low that they will rub on the inside of the fenders in the rear.

edit: figured out the targa top. Works great but I need a new headliner (outside part is new).

edit 2: think I figured out the adjustment in the front and just bought a set of 25mm torsion bars for the rear. I will try to adjust the front tomorrow night (I assume wheels should be off the ground . . . .)

edit 3: ordered four 205 70 HR14 tires. $240 shipped from tirerack.

Ron,
    Targa top Manual here .... looks to be big bumper but info is helpful.
    Karl: E911SR #792 ; RG #420 ; GS #7

'72T Coupe - Sepia Brown

Sweet, thanks.

I have few delusions of making her water tight.

Ron

Something must have gone wrong when you uploaded the pics; i can't see them
    Erik

Early S # 1107

All my german equipment is either busted or sold...sigh....in the market for a decent non-sunroof tub!!!!!!! Help me get back to autocrossing!!!

I am not particularly technically savy.

Here are the links to the pics I posted when I first agreed to buy it: (edit: if someone can download and post for others to see that would be great. I know it is a zip file so no one wants to click, but it is virus free).

http://www.thepocketsolution.com/Add...lTargaPics.zip

http://www.thepocketsolution.com/Add...TargaPics2.zip

Here is the thread I started about the longitudinal repair:

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ad.php?t=21158

A local prosche guy named Ed is setting me up with a big piece out of a 1974 to do the repair with.

I need to buy a camera. The co-pilot (girl copilot not dog copilot) has one, but I still have to figure out how to make it work.

I will try to get a pic of the chunk missing from the front longitudinal as well. That one was a suprise . . . . There are also some misc holes/scale in the fenderwells, but I think those are ok to leave alone for the time being.

Ron

Here is the ad where it was posted for sale. I bought it without the sport seats (which mike still has and I saw and they are NICE).

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ad.php?t=21010

So I bought three (yes three) used seats, (no pics but two SC seats in black leather and one ghetto 1974 seat)

Then I bought a houndstooth Monte Carlo GTS seat for it:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...hreadid=408133

I only installed the GTS seat. Going to get a recaro replica in matching houndstooth.

I still have to pay for a Kardex, but it looks to have been a fairly high spec ordered car or more likely someone loved it in the past. The rear deck lid is aluminium (YAY), the original steering wheel is leather wrapped (YAY), it has a rear sway bar and adjustable links on the front stabilizers (was this factory?) and it had the sport seats.

She also has an 11 blade fan and seems to run quite well other than a bit of popping from what I hope is old gas.

Her oild temp gauge does not work and I am fairly sure she is leaking, maybe the trans as there is a complete trans reseal kit new in box among the parts which included some nice goodies as well (original air cleaner assembly, spare bumper, spare door pocket etc etc etc).