Thread: Looking for info on the '68 model year

Looking for info on the '68 model year

I hate asking questions like this but I did some searching and didn't come up with much. My decent knowledge really only goes back to the '72 model year.

Anyway, I ran into a nice gentleman at our local PCA coffee yesterday who has a real nice '68 base model 911. He is the second owner and has had it for 39 years. He has most all records since then. The car is all original in that it has the original Blaupunkt, factory A/C etc. I think the only thing he did to personalize it was to have the windows tinted (for the Florida heat). The car is all matching numbers, one repaint in original color (Bahama Yellow). The repaint was done 25 years ago but looks great still. The matching numbers engine has had a recent rebuild. Still has webers....102K miles since new.

Having said all that he doesn't really know all the finer points about, shall I say, reconditioning some of the items that need attention after all these years. He had been thinking of selling but would like to keep it a little longer now and work on bringing it up just a notch. I can help him with the wheels which need a little TLC makeover but some other areas I have questions on.

1. Is there a good source of info available on the detail differences of the different early model years?

2. Is gauge removal (his speedo needs to be turned slightly) the same as in later cars. It didn't seem that the rubber sleeves were there on his car although the gauges were the same on as on my '73.

3. Are the correct turn signal lenses still available for these early cars? His have some crazing.

4. He needs the red border engine stickers too. Has anyone come up with acceptable copies for those yet?

5. His windshield washer bottle is missing. Are those and associated components the same as in the later longhoods?

6. He has the rubber threshholds. My '73 has the nice aluminum ones? What drove the difference.

7. Can the door pockets be restored. His are floppy.

8. Any good info on restoring his original wooden wheel? The center leather hub looks fine but the chrome ring could stand to be redone and the wood refinished.

9. He has a crack in his dash as well. Will it be difficult to find a correct replacement for that year?

Finally, any idea on current values for this year? Any other comments would be appreciated as well. I'm going to help him with a lot of the minor details and would consider making him an offer down the road if it seems like a good idea.

Thanks for any input good or bad you guys can throw my way! Sorry for all the newbie type questions...
    '73 914 2.0
    '74 911 Coupe
    '74 911 Targa
    '78 924
    '84 944
    '86 944 Turbo
    '88 930S M505 (current)
    '96 993 Coupe (current)
    '73 911T (MFI) (current)

'84 944 (current)
    Early 911S Registry #1030

Here is my crack at some of your questions. I'm restoring a '68 911 SWT also.

1. Is there a good source of info available on the detail differences of the different early model years?

A good resource is Dr. Brett Johnson's The 911 & 912 Porsche: A Restorer's Guide to Authenticity 1964-1973 ".

2. Is gauge removal (his speedo needs to be turned slightly) the same as in later cars. It didn't seem that the rubber sleeves were there on his car although the gauges were the same on as on my '73.

The gauges are held in place by two small nuts and a metal bracket. Loosen the nuts and you can spin the gauge.

3. Are the correct turn signal lenses still available for these early cars? His have some crazing.

Occasionally you can find NOS ones on Ebay, ($$$$$$). Used units in good shape are also more widely available. ($$) You can also buy replacement lenses. A bit tricky to install but will give you the new look for less $.

4. He needs the red border engine stickers too. Has anyone come up with acceptable copies for those yet?

Good luck with these. There are some repros out there of varying accuracy. I am trying to find these in a faithful reproduction for a smog-equipped car.

5. His windshield washer bottle is missing. Are those and associated components the same as in the later longhoods?

PET shows the same washer bottle for '68 through '73. I know it is definately different than pre-'68 cars.

6. He has the rubber threshholds. My '73 has the nice aluminum ones? What drove the difference.

Rubber is correct. Not sure why it changed? Durability?

7. Can the door pockets be restored. His are floppy.

The door pockets were held tight by two elastic straps. These fail after 40+ years. I am sure a replacement system can made to make them snap back. I have the same problem but haven't addressed it yet. Part of the pocket laps over the arm rest. Another problem is the door pocket warping and not following this shape well.

8. Any good info on restoring his original wooden wheel? The center leather hub looks fine but the chrome ring could stand to be redone and the wood refinished.

I am sure others have tackled this. Mine was a leather covered wheel.

9. He has a crack in his dash as well. Will it be difficult to find a correct replacement for that year?

The dash can be recovered. There are many shops that do great work. You can find uncracked ones ocassionally, but like the door pocket problem, the crack is very common.

I hope this is of some help.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    John Thompson

1966 912. My first car. Bought it Nov. 25, 1988. Still have it.

Thanks for taking the time John and for the picture from behind. Helps when you know what you are doing.....
    '73 914 2.0
    '74 911 Coupe
    '74 911 Targa
    '78 924
    '84 944
    '86 944 Turbo
    '88 930S M505 (current)
    '96 993 Coupe (current)
    '73 911T (MFI) (current)

'84 944 (current)
    Early 911S Registry #1030

Quote Originally Posted by varunan123
    John

You are a great example of what makes this board great.

Raj
    I agree, your info for this car is over the top, as was said, your comments are what makes this site the best in the WORLD
    S Registry #265
    R Gruppe #224

PET shows the same washer bottle for '68 through '73. I know it is definately different than pre-'68 cars.

The '68 washer bottle is "one year only", it doesn't have the pump mount on the left side of the bottle. But otherwise, 68 to 73 bottles are identical. I have a later bottle in my '68, don't tell anyone.....

Rubber is correct. Not sure why it changed? Durability?

I think AL trims came in '67 on the S cars, in other words, S trim. My base '68 has rubber.

John gave you some great advice...not much to add other than the obvious--the 68's have some parts that are unique and harder to find, but not impossible (door panels, dash, those cool little side reflectors).

This is going to sound wierd, but about the steering wheel. If you want to touch it up yourself, here's something I could swear I took off the PCA technical forum web side some time ago, and it's worked for me.

If the wood is in good shape, you might get by with lightly sanding it, even out the stain by using Minwax Puritan Pine #218, and seal with Minwax Clear Satin Polyurethane.

It's the Puritan Pine #218 and Clear Satin that I remember reading, because I can recall thinking the Puritan Pine couldn't possibly by right...

And since we're talking base, or normal 68s...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Roger
    68 Sand Beige 911 Coupe #11830091
    84 Moss Green 911 Carrera