Thread: Anybody have pics of how to wire fuel pump for front mounting?

Anybody have pics of how to wire fuel pump for front mounting?

Considering moving my rear mount pump to the front (replacing it actually) but have zero knowledge of how it should be wired. I'd like to mount it on the front crossmember (smuggler box is full with yet to be removed a/c crap).

Thank you!

Erik
    Erik

Early S # 1107

All my german equipment is either busted or sold...sigh....in the market for a decent non-sunroof tub!!!!!!! Help me get back to autocrossing!!!

The fuel pump on my '67S is mounted on the front of the crossmember between the crossmember and the tank. It was that way when I got the car. It seems to work fine up there. The only issue I've run in to is that there is very little room up there and it was quite a job for me to replace the fuel lines in that area when one started to leak. The problem was getting my hands and tools up in the very tight space. I finally lowered the crossmember about an inch to get the job done. Sorry no pictures. One final consideration is that if you mount the fuel pump up front be sure you get a pump that is a "pusher" type (so it will "push the fuel to the back of the car where the engine is.) A "puller" type may not work up front although it would probably be fine if mounted back by the engine.

thanks richard; i'm not sure which pumps are pusher and which are puller. Richard Parr sells a Pierburg and that's likely what i'm ordering. that crossmember/fuel line area is such a miserable place to work isn't it!!!

My question is more about how do i do the wiring.

I'd prefer to mount in the rear as the wiring and hoses are already there and it's MUCH easier to access.
    Erik

Early S # 1107

All my german equipment is either busted or sold...sigh....in the market for a decent non-sunroof tub!!!!!!! Help me get back to autocrossing!!!

If you decide to mount your fuel pump up front the wiring should be very straight forward (and a wiring diagram will be included with the fuel pump mounting instructions). You will need a hot 12V lead should which should be only hot when the ignition is activated and off when the ignition is off and a ground. Regarding "pusher" and "puller" fuel pumps, there is no real mystery. Typically pumps mounted by the gas tank of vehicles are "pusher" type pumps since they have to push the fuel to the other end of the car to the motor. "Puller" type pumps are typically mounted near the engine and have to pull the fuel from the other end of the car where the gas tank is located so they are designed to pull rather than push fuel. It's possible some pumps can be used in either location and are able to work either way. The description of the fuel pump or the vendor should be able to tell you where the pump is designed to be mounted and that will tell you what you need to know. Good luck.
    Rich

fuel pump

Look at the circut for a 1969 or 1970? 911 the fuel pump is up by the tank