Thread: 1965-1968 Porsche 911 Factory Tool Kit

1965-1968 Porsche 911 Factory Tool Kit

FS: 1965 TO 1968 PORSCHE 911 FACTORY TOOL KIT. SEE EBAY 130241696384 FOR PHOTOS AND DETAILS. THANKS, SCOTT. rowdy205@sbcglobal.net

Early Kits

Hi Scott,

Good looking kit. Question on early pliers? So these are Hapewe. Interesting, as many on the board have reported unmarked or Klein, with similar appearance, i.e. satin finish with polished raised cutting edge. And, further, even questioned when, if at all, Hapewe pliers were ever offered and are correct. Also, some have said that '65 and '66 pliers should be like late 356 ones with satin finished, rather than polished, raised cutting edge. These do look different than later Hapewe pliers. Please comment and advise.

Good luck on the auction.

-Allen-

65-68 Factory 911 Tool Kit

My daughter calls this one of Dad's brain farts. I apologize and hope that I didn't confuse too many of you, but there was an error in my ebay early 911 tool kit listing regarding the pliers in that the pliers do NOT and should NOT have any script markings on them, only the cross hatching on the handles. It is probable that the '64 and '65 911 tool kit pliers were satin all over like the 356C. I do know that the very early '64 tool kit bags had their spring-actuated clasps attached to the bag with tiny rivets like the 356C and not with bent prong clips like those used in later bags. Also the early bent prong clips were flatter than later ones. One thing that all should remember is that cars and the tool kits that we have come to believe came with a particular car was not all that precise for several reasons:
    1) The tool kits were alway shipped separately and not with the cars from
    the factory. This occasionally caused unintentional slipups.
    2) The tool kits at the beginning and end of year runs occassionally drifted
    into the next or were used early in previous years cars. This is probably
    the most legitimate source of confusion. Porsche did not, and would, not
    toss a perfectly good '61 356B kit just because there was a change to a
    different kit for 1962, so, for example, some early '62's got the kit used in
    '61.
    3) Many Porsches sat on lots a long time because they were expensive. It all
    varied with locale, the economy, competition from other makes causing
    slow sales for Porsches (it did and does happen), etc. New models and
    there associated kits arrived and the tool kits that were stored in the back
    got mistakenly assigned to the wrong car. Kits and individual tools also
    got stolen and were replaced with what was available when the car was
    sold at the dealer or replace with new updated tools or kits by the
    factory. A lot of people didn't really know or care. "Hey, I got a tool kit
    with my car".

In any case, the precision we have come to expect and demand in Porsches didn't always apply to tool kits. Unfortunately, like any particular detail concerning a Porsche, decisions of tool kit correctness has gotten brutal, and thus generally skewed to precision, due to the battles on the concours field. How do the judges decide when two cars are identical, but their tool kits are slightly different? How many times have we heard, "But I'm the original owner and this is the kit I received"?

'65-'68 Factory tool kit

By the way, I forgot to thank Allen for the heads up.

And there we go

Hi Scott,

Thanks for all that information; very helpful.

-Allen-