Thread: larger oil pump for 2.0 engine...

larger oil pump for 2.0 engine...

Hi,
    In the process of re-doing my 2.0 liter mild race motor.
    I'm moving up to the "next level" in that I plan on using a larger oil pump... (among other misc. mods & changes)

My question is:
    Which pump?
    - a 930 3.0 pump (sorta expensive)
    - a later 930 pump (even more expensive)
    - a modern gt2 pump (I understand they're marginally cheaper than the 930s, but haven't actually looked)
    - simply use a later (for a larger stock engine) pump?

The engine will be built with as much current "period correct" know-how I can afford: re-worked case with all the tricks, Pauter Rods, a good 10.5:1 piston (probably J&E), re-worked Weber 40s (because that's all I got), std/std crank, etc. My goal is not so much a 10hr hand grenade, but a good beefy, robust 2.0 liter motor good for at least 40-50hrs, before I'd have to crack it open again...

Anyway - oil pumps: Any ideas, folks?
    Thanks - looking forward to the sage wisdom, advice, humor, etc...

cheers
    R/Thom

I put an SC pump in my aluminum cased 901/05 ('66). It's the same as the Carrera pump except doesn't have an integrated sump screen allowing me to retain the flat sump plate for original appearance. I figure since the Euro 3,2 used this pump at 230 HP it's adequate for my use.

That's not important to you. The GT3 pump is highly recommended these days and has the advantage of being current production.

Of course you will need to modify the case to make it fit, this is a simple machining operation. While you are in there the case will need squirters and the oil bypass mod.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

John, Is there any appreciable difference...

Between the current GT 3 o-pump and the GT 2 o-pump? I kept hearing about the GT 2 pump, hence this question. I would think the GT 3 pump would be more appropriate in this case - what say you?

Thanks
    R/Thom

John, thanks for the "point by..."

to this other thread over in Birdland...
    I guess I'd be overdoing the pump/application going to that big a unit (930/GT 3 pumps)...that said, I'll keep digging, along with taking a closer look at "smaller units" (SC/3.2 Carrera, etc)

Thanks for the help...

cheers
    R/Thom

3.2 is a great pump.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

A lot of guys use the 3,0 turbo pump. Remember that the Turbo used a lot more oil for cooling the engine and the turbocharger shared the same oil system. That said, if you are using a lot of external oil cooling and filtration devices a big pump is probably a good idea.
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

I use a GT3 pump. Tons of volume...
    Juan - Member # 321
    Ft. Lauderdale

Mission Foods Porsche GT3 Cup USA Champion
    Klub Sport Champion
    Rolex Endurance Champion
    Louis Chevrolet Endurance Champion
    HSR Sprint Champion
    PCA Club Race Champion

Race cars and parts for sale; videos and photos at: www.alteregoracing.com

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." -Sir Winston Churchill