Thread: Enclosed Transport

Enclosed Transport

I have received shipping quotes from several vendors thanks to the comments from a search for on this board and it is down to two. I eliminated Intercity after I received their quote because of the comments made by some even though they had the lowest quote by about $150.

The final two are Thomas Sunday and Passport (Fed Ex). Has anyone had an experience with either that would cause them to never think about using another carrier because they were so good...or vice versa?

The quotes for these two are apart by $300.
    S Registry #1229
    1972 Light Yellow 911T (RS look currently, ST replica coming)
    1984 Black/Black RoW 930 Turbo
    2004 Black/Black 996 GT3
    1971 Metallic Blue 911T Sunroof Coupe
    2007 Atlas Grey Cayman S (My First)

history

I have used Interctiy before without incident.I have two cars going west in three weeks.Is there some thing that would make me change my mind? By the way,Jason,what are you shipping? Congratulations if you found a car you are happy with.You certainly deserve a good one with all the work you have done to find one. Show us some pics when you can! Tom
    Member:S Registry #864

Hi Tom-
    Hope the move is going well. I decided against Intercity after reading several posts on this board that werent too flattering. None had anything bad to say about the quality of the actual transport, it was more along the lines of communication and poor customer service.

I am a little premature in asking about the transport yet, the car is going through its PPI this week. I am wierd like that, cart is always before the horse. If it passes its PPI, I will most certainly post some pics.
    S Registry #1229
    1972 Light Yellow 911T (RS look currently, ST replica coming)
    1984 Black/Black RoW 930 Turbo
    2004 Black/Black 996 GT3
    1971 Metallic Blue 911T Sunroof Coupe
    2007 Atlas Grey Cayman S (My First)

I have used Intercity and several other carriers over the past few years. I have used Intercity at least six times in the past four years. I have never had any problem with them. They were always professional and timely. I know several people who have had good luck with Passport.
    Patrick

67 911S

Thomas Sunday transport

Hi Jason,

I had Thomas Sunday transport a car from Virginia to Colorado a few years ago. At the time the parade had just ended & all the transporters were gearing up for Pebble Beach. Intercity & Fed-ex Transp. quotes were both about $300 higher w/ no definite pick up & delivery dates. Thomas Sunday picked up & delivered the car exactly as promised w/ no hassle or problems.
    I even had drivers cell #, which was nice as I was traveling away from home at the time. Flew in from my trip to SFO & the driver was waiting for me at my business....on a Sunday no less

I would not hesitate to use TS again. Good luck

ps: Join us for the Tour De Colorado fall 09 in Durango...
    1973 911E Viper Green
    2021 Spyder PTS Signal Yellow
    2019 Carrera T Racing Yellow
    2008 Boxster S Ltd. Ed Orange
    2007 911 GT3 Meteor Grey

@Type911 instagram
    RGruppe #295
    Zuffenhausen secret weapon

auto transport

I have most recently used Chris Ridgeway the disabled Vet that delivered Frank G's McQueen 70's to Conn.
    Chris is very reputable ,upstanding and personable young guy that is quite consceintious ? and timely ..
    he actually has single handidly transported half of my collection from coast to coast three cars in as many weeks .
    presently I'm haviong him schedule another move cross country LA to DC of
    my '73911S and we're looking for a second to go East and maybe as many as Two going back west..starting next week,the 10th 0r 11th at the latest..
    Chris's contact info is 1714 402 0129 or chris@emorymotorsports.com

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    I actually have used Intercity, Thomas Sunday and Passport (FedEx). Through a bunch of circumstances those carriers were picked for me. I actually only paid for half the Thomas Sunday delivery. But, enough about me.

I wouldn't hesitate to use any of them (Passport/FedEx might be my third choice). It would come down to cost, schedule, insurance and terms.

Thomas Sunday and Intercity use independent owner-operators (often married couples) and I would be surprised if that doesn't apply to FedEx. Those independent owner-operators all seem to have pretty much the same equipment and they have invested in their expensive rigs because they want to haul valuable cars and deal with their owners. On the other hand, the "lines" might not have the same control they would have over employees.

The best Intercity crew is probably better than the worst Thomas Sunday crew, and vice versa.

Aside from making sure your car is well-insured while on the trailer (remember the train hitting the transporter full of rare Porsches at a Venture Show?) see if you can get assurances your car won't be moved from its spot in the trailer save for pickup and delivery. Failing that, get assurances that either it won't be started--or at the very least--that the operators can safely start your car. Just because somebody loves and respects old cars it doesn't mean they understand how to start an old Porsche. The carbureted ones tend to have the fuel evaporate from the carbs and I suspect MFI has its own unique challenges.
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet