Thread: engine swap 1969s

engine swap 1969s

I Have A 69s With A 68 Motor That I Can Swap Out For A 1980 3.0 Liter Motor With New Pmo's And A High Tech Ignition System. The 3.0 L Engine Comes Complete With A Fairly Decent Targa Attached To It. I Would End Up With A Targa Roller And A 68 Motor To Sell. At Some Point I Would Like To Return The 69s To The Original Configuration Motorwise But In The Meantime This Seems Like A Good Interim Ride. My Question Is How Many Problems Will I Run Into If I Put The 3.0 Motor/AND 915 trans Into The 69s? Will The Suspension And Rear Hubs Need To Be Transferred Also And Any Other Obvious Problems That I Should Expect? Any Good Step By Step Articles Around On The Motor Change?
    I Appreciate Any Advice
    Eric 843 298-9677

I have zero experience at this swap but I've been told to put a 915 trans into a 69 chassis, you will need to enlarge the trans tunnel to get the 915 to fit properly (big hammer job). I would also imagine you would need to replace the clutch assy that runs from the 915 and include the pedal on the floor. I suspect this info is true because I considered swapping my 901 for a 911 trans from a 70-71 model year. I was told by reliable sources I would have to swap my entire clutch assy as well. I assume this to be correct because the 901 trans that came in 69 was a specific configuration offered in that model year only. To save yourself this work . . . you may want to checkout the effort involved with running your 901 with your 3.0. I'd guess it would hold-up just fine assuming it's in good shape and you are not running a simplified differential (ie. non-simplified is better . . . do a search on this for more info).
    Tom Ching
    69E Burgundy

'69s engine swap

Just hold on a minute...If your swapping the entire 3.0l and 915 combo
    you wont encounter any real problems other thatn switching the cd to 6pin
    and maybe a few wires on your harness if that.
    you're axles should bolt up but if not you can cheaplt aquire some SC units
    that should do the trick.
    Oh and theres NO banging and sheet metal surgery involved a 915 will still fit under there...when you get to G50 then you have a problem..
    Only likely concern will be running a later speedo with electronic pick up but should make for a real squealer!Bert

I was once told by an ex factory mechanic that a 901 tranny in good shape will accomodate up to 300 hp. I dunno if I'd take it that far but reading between the lines of what he said it should easily accomodate your 3.0.
    Paul Schooley
    71 911T (RS wanabe w/2.7L juice)
    S Reg #863
    R Gruppe #330

The hump between the rear seats will need a little bumping when going from a 901 to a 915 trans. I belive that a few oil lines will need changing, found this out when putting the 2.7 in the 71. Yes some wiring work will also need tending to. The clutch cable and shifter should be the only up grade to get the 915 too work. The 901 trans is supposed to be good for up to 300 h.p.. BUT. Since the first gear is as I understand unsupported. Take it easy in first gear. However I perfer the 901 shift pattern for auto-x. Starting off in second gear with a bit of clutch slippage will save a shift and the trans. Most auto-x tracks I would not even have to shift due to the 7500 redline on the 2.7 . Throttle hard and brake hard makes for great pass times .
    Bill Barnich
    R Gruppe Nr.230
    Early S Nr.960
    71 911T/2.7 Tangarine
    73 911?/3.6 work in progress

Light,Nimble,Uncivilized
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Schooley
    I was once told by an ex factory mechanic that a 901 tranny in good shape will accomodate up to 300 hp. I dunno if I'd take it that far but reading between the lines of what he said it should easily accomodate your 3.0.
    They ran it in the 210hp R...ought to be fine for an SC 3.0L.
    Marc
    '69 Coupe in Pastel Blau
    R#464
    S#1390

swap

If you use the 901 box you will need a special flywheel. Kennedy engineered products in Palmdale Ca. should be able to supply it. I put a 3.0 Euro motor with 46 Webers in a 71 and it was fast and thirsty. The 69 clutch configuration is same as 65-68. Dont mix 69S disc or P plate with any other. Trans rating is for torque. the 911 R is probably not real big on torque.

I hear what you're saying about 1st gear in the 901. I use mine verrrrrry gently but once out of first it's open game and a great H pattern for most driving. I'm beating my tranny up with a 2.7 that's somewhere just under 200 hp and loving every second of it so a 3.0 done nicely should be a total blast.
    Paul Schooley
    71 911T (RS wanabe w/2.7L juice)
    S Reg #863
    R Gruppe #330