Thread: Porsche production competition cars 1970

Porsche production competition cars 1970

Hello All!

I am looking for info regarding the competition cars of the 1970 model year. Raj posted a scan for the 1968 model year in the T/R thread and I am most interested in finding the same for 1970. Pics would be great also! When were the 2.3 short strokes introduced as an option? Or was this an upgrade during the competition year? You know all the little techie details.

I am in a discussion/arguement with my father wether or not an "R" was offered. He is insisting on it and said he had literature backing it up from the dealer...which is conveniently long gone. I am telling him it was the "ST" that was offered at that time. Since he was there at the time I am trying not to force it on him...but he is getting old

Thanks a bunch guys and have a great day!
    Aaron Burnham
    Burnham Performance
    1071 Avenida Acaso ste D.
    Camarillo, Ca. 93012
    805-240-6931

Thanks for the reply,

I found some limited info on the S/R but nothing in depth. My father was stationed in Spain (air force) in 1970. He was interested in purchasing his first 911 and wanted something fast. When he went to the Dealership(Heinrick?), the car that caught his attention was a 911"R". The dealership convinced him that the "R" would not suit very well to street use and sold him an S.
    Aaron Burnham
    Burnham Performance
    Camarillo, Ca. 93012
    805-240-6931

Hello Aaron,
    Would you have more specific information regarding the 911 R. Was it offered for sale in Spain? What colour, chassisnumber maybe?
    Thanks,
    JD

I wish I did have the info about the car. I will talk to my father today and verify the name of the dealer and the approximate month in 1970 the car was there. Maybe a little detective work may reveal more.

Also at the dealer was a 908 that he was also considering. My father swears it was a 908, but I have not been able to I.D. that one as well. None of the historic pictures match the one he saw.
    Aaron Burnham
    Burnham Performance
    Camarillo, Ca. 93012
    805-240-6931

O.K.

I got more details,

Turns out that my father was interested in the R option when he purchased his S. So I guess it would have been an SR had he gone through with it.

There where two legitimate R's at the dealership, both were from the 60's. One could have been a 67. He noted that it had R badging on the engine grill. The other was a hill climb car. The car had steel rear flares and fiberglass front fenders,hood, etc. He recalled that it looked very similar to a turbo.

So does anybody have any info on 1970/71 racing options?
    Aaron Burnham
    Burnham Performance
    Camarillo, Ca. 93012
    805-240-6931