Thread: Bringing back the color

Bringing back the color

Original post.......
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Chuck Miller; 04-09-2014 at 09:38 AM.

A quality detailer will be able to polish out the paint.........if there's enough paint on the car. The hood looks like a repaint. Try a little polish on a soft cloth. Rub the surface. If the cloth shows some of the paint, its single stage. If no color comes off on the cloth, its 2 stage.
    356Robo
    64 C Coupe #218448(sold)
    70T Targa #9110110416(sold)

wet sand

have it wet sanded by a pro then waxed;you won't believe how it turns out

So cool, I love a survivor type car, I like what you are doing with it. Great color.

Quote Originally Posted by fg1227
    have it wet sanded by a pro then waxed;you won't believe how it turns out
    Frank,

Do you know if you can wet sand (old) single stage silver? Thanks.

-Allen-

Regardless how it comes out I would retain the original paint. If you cannot get the hood to an acceptable level then I would consider having that painted being it has been repainted before.

Good Luck
    Joe Annicelli
    Early 911S Registry #751
    Polo Red/Black 1967 Porsche 911S Coupe "Walter"
    Black/Red 1967 Alfa GTJr. Coupe "Nero"
    Italian Red 1994 Ducati 900SS/SP looks fast standing still
    Italian Red 1957 Gilera 150 Sport

Ahhhh the sixties... I envision myself one early Saturday morning wearing plaid shorts, black shoes with white socks smoking a cigarette heading to the hardware store to buy a bag of nails.
    SWB cars are an acquired taste however once acquired theirs no turning back.

My friends 66 911 got part of his repaint removed w/ a process called dry ice blasting. I was at the spot when it was done and the dry ice blaster was able to remove layer by layer. The original paint came back to surface and is still very representable. It had scratches from sanding though. I do not know whether it's always possible to remove layer by layer. It might depend on the quality of the paint used?

Richard

removing paint

At Amelia Island this year there was a 550 (blue / white strips - Sonauto) that had its repainted coats of paint chemically removed. Gary Kempton restorations did the work - maybe they can assist .....

tel: 850 926 5722
    email : madebyhand@nettally.com
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Nick D - Run Flat

1973 RHD 911 Carrera RS #0358 - Fun Car
    2016 Cayenne Diesel - Tow Car
    2017 Macan S - Better Half's Car

1955 356 Speedster SOLD
    1976 911 2.7 SOLD
    2006 Cayman S SOLD
    2006 Cayenne S SOLD
    2008 Carrera S F77 SOLD
    2011 Cayenne S TOTALLED (T-Boned but kept us safe)
    2015 Macan S SOLD
    2015 GT3 - Track Car
    2016 Cayenne SOLD
    2016 Cayenne GTS TOTALLED (Bloody big deer)

Still looking for 1st Edition Carrera RS book #358.

Life is way too short to drive boring cars.

Original Paint

I strongly suggest that color sanding, soda plasting and buffing original paint, in an attempt to preserve the paint, be done ONLY by a qualified technician at the best, and most expensive usually, detail shop in your area. These processes are very tricky and an novice can create more problems than they solve. However, a professional and provide inredible results.

Tom Scott

Tom's right, the wrong guy could just as easily ruin what you have. If the paint is indeed original, you will be amazed how well it will come out. I wouldn't bother trying to strip the hood, I'm sure it was painted for a reason. After the car is polished you can access whether it makes sense to paint just the hood, or the whole nose.
    Tom F.

'67 911S Slate Gray
    '70 911T 2.8 hotrod (in progress)
    '92 964