Thread: Porsche #1 in Monterey this weekend

Porsche #1 in Monterey this weekend

I have it on good authority Porsche #1 will be in Monterey this weekend...
    along with the LMP2 Spyder......

See-ya in Monterey.....

Cheers,
    Dave
    911S registry #1103
    R-Gruppe #513
    1967 912 converted to 2.2
    Period Dune Buggy

Some drive Porsches' to be seen.....
    I prefer it when nobodys looking.

Hope they don't drop it this time...

PRESERVATION TREASURES,

INCLUDING FIRST PRODUCTION PORSCHE,

TO APPEAR AT

AUG. 17 PEBBLE BEACH CONCOURS d’ELEGANCE

Prewar and postwar preservation classes show cars can be original only once

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Contact: PCGCampbell – Jeff Green (310) 224-4961 (jgreen@pcgcampbell.com)

PEBBLE BEACH, Calif. (July 31, 2008) – Every third Sunday in August, rows and rows of pristinely restored Duesenbergs, Packards and Bugattis decorate the 18th fairway of the Pebble Beach Golf Links®. It’s the annual Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance®, an automotive time capsule where entries are judged for their elegance and authenticity.

In recent years, though, some graying interlopers have cropped up amidst the spotless, automotive jewels.

Immaculately restored vehicles assuredly still capture the majority of the Concours limelight, but the unrefurbished cars of the Pebble Beach prewar and postwar preservation classes are garnering more and more public and media attention.

“There’s something stately about these treasures that actually show their history; once regal vehicles that have been left unrestored by their owners,” says Sandra Kasky Button, Pebble Beach Concours Chairman. “Some have sat untouched for decades in barns, under tarps or buried in the back of deserted warehouses while others have been lovingly driven around town. In each instance, they’re unique, beautiful and bear witness to the passage of time -- not only to those who created them, but to those who drove them.”

A prime example of historic beauty and relevance in this year’s Concours is Porsche No. 1. Dr. Ferry Porsche once said, “I couldn’t find the car I’d been dreaming of. So I decided to build it myself.”

On June 8, 1948 his dream car became a reality and signaled the birth of the sports car company bearing his name. The car spent many years with numerous owners before being recovered and returned in 1958 to the Porsche headquarters in Stuttgart, where it has remained the centerpiece of Porsche’s automotive history.

Porsche No. 1’s appearance at this year’s Pebble Beach Concours d’ Elegance is Porsche’s second chance to display this piece of history in the U.S. Ten years ago, on the occasion of the company’s 50th anniversary, the first attempt was foiled by a shipping accident that damaged the car and prevented its debut. On Aug. 17, though, Porsche will make good on its quest to show No. 1 in its original glory at Pebble Beach when it joins 16 of its preservation brethren to create the largest showing of unrestored cars in the event’s history.

When horseless carriages began ruling the road about 100 years ago, many vehicles were discarded once they began to age. By the late 1950s, as the collector car pastime began to blossom, the emphasis was solely focused on restoring these older cars -- making them as good or better than new. More recently, though, some auto aficionados have come to believe that cars restored to “as new” condition can lose a portion of their historical significance. While some purists are still unable to see beauty amid the chipped paint, rusted rims and sun-shredded upholstery, leaders in the preservation movement insist that the patina of age has a beauty all its own, that these “rescued” automotive time capsules maintain peak historical importance by keeping the cars in their original unchanged condition.

The Pebble Beach Concours initially recognized preservation cars in 1999 when a trophy was awarded for Best Preserved Car. The first class at Pebble Beach solely devoted to pre-war preservation vehicles was in 2001, and in 2007 a post-war preservation class was created.

"Our preservation classes cover a wide range of cars – from the untouched, long-hidden finds to much-loved automobiles that have been used, well maintained (but not restored) and passed down through many generations of owners,” says Button. “Everyone talks about the untouched barn find and bemoans the fact that they’re increasingly rare. To be truly preserved for a long period of time, though, cars require lots of care. So over time, I think everybody’s preference will swing toward lovingly preserved cars.”
    Stefan Josef Koch
    RGruppe #194/SRegistry #1063
    1969 Porsche 911E, Light Ivory (38 years and counting)
    2015 Porsche Cayman S
    2012 BMW R1200GS, 1973 BMW R75/5

"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools." -E. Hemingway

Yes, old Number Eins was there indeed, on the Pebble Beach lawn having been been beautifully restored since they dropped it at the harbor for the voyage back to the Vaterland the last time it was here.....but it's all good now.
    Enjoy

JZG
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Before it became Ruprecht, my Porsche was a '70 911 T

Paying member No. 895 since 2006

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."
    Rob Dickinson's response when asked what motivated him to build Singers

There was also a charming and well done Gloeckler Coupe there!.

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."

At the Blackhawk collection Tent there was this '73 RSR which became a Brumos car later in its life.......but $ 1,000,000.00 ??

There were a couple other 911s at the Blackhawk tent, as shown in the following.

Quote Originally Posted by John Z Goriup
    At the Blackhawk collection Tent there was this '73 RSR which became a Brumos car later in its life.......but $ 1,000,000.00 ??

John,

FYI, this '73rsr is owned by a fellow "Early S" member; Raj.

It is a very original and unmolested car (even if I can't deal with the gold BBS wheels)

You probably couldn't find another (with this pedigree) that is available.

Chuck
    (Dues paying member)

Numbero Uno is a stunning car, but really, did it look that good when it was originally built?

Not slamming, just thinking out loud...

Of course, I'm just jealous! It is everthing I can do to keep my door dinged, scratched, rock chipped Targa on the road and looking halfway decent!
    Neal Boysen
    Albert Blue t targa
    RG #439
    ES #1056