Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RS lightweight conversion feedback

RS lightweight conversion feedback

Hi all,
    I am considering a carrera RS lightweight converted from touring. I am hesitant since I the dont like anwering the question "is that real?" yes, it's a real rs, no its a touring converted to lightweight.."
    I previously had a continuation shelby cobra, and was always explaining, yes, but no...same with a cut daytona spyder. Is there a stigma attached to the touring RS converted to lightweight? I would love to hear form owners as to their experiences. thanks, mark gold
    73 RS 1189
    81 924 Carrera GTS
    69S 2L HSR
    70 914/6 2.5 L HSR
    2008 GT 3 RS
    78 512 BB, 2000 550 Maranello, 85 308 GTSi
    63 AC V8 prototype
    63 fuelie vette
    62 e type roadster
    32 Duece lowboy hot rod ex Sqeek Bell

Personally, I would be proud to own one. I know what you mean though, I have a 56 speedster, and I'm glad that when someone asks if its real, I can say yes.

To me a RS is a RS, plenty were converted right after purchase.
    Rob Abbott

Does it have any competition history? That would actually substantiate the change. Either way, it's your car. Enjoy and ignore the whiners.
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

just to clarify

the car is a #'s matching two owner documented from new with 75,000 miles.Serial #9113600788 was delivered new 3/23/73 in Salzburg, Austria to
    Porsche Austria GMBH. It was owned and operated by Porsche Austria until sold in 10/74 to the owner of Unit Pictures;sold to second owner Mr. R Roth in 2/79 who owned it for 23 yrs,In '79 he had it converted to M471 AND REPAINTED WHITE/BLUE. The conversion was done by Porsche Austria GMBH.The conversion to M471 lightweight sports version was carried out with all factory correct parts and even comes with very rare Sport Lightweight seats,lite weight carpets,door panels clock plug,and has remained this way ever since.It was acquied thru Dr. G. Konradshiem from his home in Austria in '02;when I GOT THE CAR IN 9/03 i deceided to have Gunnar Porsche paint the car back to its original tangerine;thru a series of events,it is being completly restored to its 1979 spec's(lite weight).Kevin Jeanette has confirmed to me that it has all the factory correct lite weight parts. the car will be spectacular

conversion

I am a little confused, you seem to say the car in question is a touring, Frank is saying it was restored to its origional specs, which was a lite weight? At any rate I think you answered your own question, if it left the factory as a touring it will always be a touring no matter what you do to it. It probably should not make any difference but if you go to sell it the person will find out its not a lite weight. I know and understand what you are going through, and if you really want a true lightweight no substitute is going to fill the bill.

Quote Originally Posted by markg
    Hi all,
    I am considering a carrera RS lightweight converted from touring. I am hesitant since I the dont like anwering the question "is that real?" yes, it's a real rs, no its a touring converted to lightweight.."
    I previously had a continuation shelby cobra, and was always explaining, yes, but no...same with a cut daytona spyder. Is there a stigma attached to the touring RS converted to lightweight? I would love to hear form owners as to their experiences. thanks, mark gold
    Mark, I got SO SICK of being asked 'is it REAL?' that I finally acquired a personalized license plate: 'REAL RS'. Probably 80% of the lightweights you see have been converted from touring. Mine was originally a Touring, restored by RUF in Germany to M471 specs, and the engine juiced to a 2.8. I've RARELY been asked if my car was originally a touring or lightweight. It boils down to the question: What do YOU want? Is originality the most important thing? In that case, there are GORGEOUS touring and lightweight cars available. An ORIGINAL M471, restored or not, that has been LEFT ALONE, will run you AT LEAST 50-100% more then a touring.
    Bahia Red '72 911S
    Meerblau PTS 2019 Speedster
    GP Silver, 2018 GT2RS WP....the BEAST
    Daytona Gray 2021 RS6 Avant....BEAST #2...Best daily EVER

ES #333

GONE...MANY, many great ones....

First, I would really like to thank all on the forum who have offered their advice to a 'newbie" I feel truly welcome.

Frank, I know Kevins work, and I am certain the car will be spectacular. That being said, I don't think it matters if the conversion was done in 79, 99, or 2008, it's still a conversion.but still an RS ..my question to the board was, does it matter in the Porsche world? With ferraris, it makes all the difference, but here, we are really talking about bumpers, seats, and door panels..So do you pay an extra 100k?
    73 RS 1189
    81 924 Carrera GTS
    69S 2L HSR
    70 914/6 2.5 L HSR
    2008 GT 3 RS
    78 512 BB, 2000 550 Maranello, 85 308 GTSi
    63 AC V8 prototype
    63 fuelie vette
    62 e type roadster
    32 Duece lowboy hot rod ex Sqeek Bell

A properly converted to LW has always seemed to have no difference in price compared to a touring version, I would put a premium on a lihtweight conversion using factory parts though. The first 1,000 or so RSs started as lightweights anyway so to me it's not really incorrect. Just my opinion.

Don

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fg1227
    the car is a #'s matching two owner documented from new with 75,000 miles.Serial #9113600788 was delivered new 3/23/73 in Salzburg, Austria to
    Porsche Austria GMBH. It was owned and operated by Porsche Austria until sold in 10/74 to the owner of Unit Pictures;sold to second owner Mr. R Roth in 2/79 who owned it for 23 yrs,In '79 he had it converted to M471 AND REPAINTED WHITE/BLUE. The conversion was done by Porsche Austria GMBH.The conversion to M471 lightweight sports version was carried out with all factory correct parts and even comes with very rare Sport Lightweight seats,lite weight carpets,door panels clock plug,and has remained this way ever since.It was acquied thru Dr. G. Konradshiem from his home in Austria in '02;when I GOT THE CAR IN 9/03 i deceided to have Gunnar Porsche paint the car back to its original tangerine;thru a series of events,it is being completly restored to its 1979 spec's(lite weight).Kevin Jeanette has confirmed to me that it has all the factory correct lite weight parts. the car will be spectacular
    thanks for all the PM's expressing interest in the car;I 've decieded not to sell it until after it's done and I get to see it

To answer the first question re my RS

Not to waste anyone's time - mine or the inquisitive 'one' I have a single sheet of paper with the following words on it

OH YES IT IS !!

this seems to do the trick

And another point - it will be you getting into the vehicle so you do what you want to do for your driving pleasure. If it was up to some individuals they'd like you not to drive the car . I recall taking my RS to the factory in 98 for my 40th, snow rain and sunshine in 4 days and I had a porsche owner come over at the factory and tell me I was wrong to have my car out in such bad weather ! Jeez I lived in England where the sun don't sunshine all the time !!
    Nick D - Run Flat

1973 RHD 911 Carrera RS #0358 - Fun Car
    2016 Cayenne Diesel - Tow Car
    2017 Macan S - Better Half's Car

1955 356 Speedster SOLD
    1976 911 2.7 SOLD
    2006 Cayman S SOLD
    2006 Cayenne S SOLD
    2008 Carrera S F77 SOLD
    2011 Cayenne S TOTALLED (T-Boned but kept us safe)
    2015 Macan S SOLD
    2015 GT3 - Track Car
    2016 Cayenne SOLD
    2016 Cayenne GTS TOTALLED (Bloody big deer)

Still looking for 1st Edition Carrera RS book #358.

Life is way too short to drive boring cars.