Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone seen a 'hockey puck' horn button like this ?

Anyone seen a 'hockey puck' horn button like this ?

I picked this (disassembled) hockey puck horn button up recently with a 'job lot' of early parts & it wasn't until I was inspecting the parts more closely later that I noticed that there are no slots/holes in the plastic for the lugs on the chrome ring to locate in.

Anyone seen one like it before ?
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Andy

Early 911S Reg #753
    R Gruppe #105

I would say 68. The embossed leather, chrome ring and metal cap underneath are one piece. The embossed leather is flat on this puck. There is currently a complete unit on eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...250445785&rd=1

Richard

How are the ring/embossed leather /backing piece attached to the main plastic horn push in this instance ?
    Andy

Early 911S Reg #753
    R Gruppe #105

Glue. If I find some time later today I will post a picture. BTW in your picture you see the remainings of adhesive.

Richard

Thanks Richard - I've learnt something new today !
    Andy

Early 911S Reg #753
    R Gruppe #105

I didn't realize that the "flat" button seems to be a bit of a rarity. I happen to have one of each, the domed foam-backed "conventional "kind and the flat one. The foam backed unit is held in place with six tabs which are part of the chrome bezel and are crimped when installed to hold the leather / foam button in.

The other, flat unit has a non-removable chrome bezel without the tabs, since it is held in place in the bakelite button with three gobs of silicone adhesive, and the black, hard-rubber button has no slots for the tabs. All trhe rest of the steel hardware and the rubber, bell-shaped "return spring" are identical. I say non-removable because the leather is glued onto what apperas to be a flat pice of thin steel, similar to a paint can bottom, then the edge of the leather is glued to the backside of this plate and what looks to be a perfectly ordinary paint-can lid holds it all together, but it fits so tightly that I haven't tried to pry it apart for fear of destroying it all together.
    The chrome bezel covers the edge and also seems very difficult to remove.

1. First photo, a comparison of the two buttons. Note one is domed, the other is flat.

2 & 3. Close up of the two main hockey-puck components, one with slots , the other without.

4. Close-up of flat leather button top surface

5. Close-up of flat leather-button back-side

I hope this helps. PM me if you need more info or photos

JZG
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Before it became Ruprecht, my Porsche was a '70 911 T

Paying member No. 895 since 2006

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."
    Rob Dickinson's response when asked what motivated him to build Singers

You will also notice that the ridges along the circumference of the two pucks are different when held side by side.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

I just restored a flat one. The metal of the trim ring is just malleable enough to remove, clean up, plate and reinstall at least once. At least mine was. I did have some minor splitting as I folded the edge back over the paint tin cover which created burrs around the bottom. I just cleaned it up with a fine file. I did not have to glue it; it was a perfect pressure fit kind of like a nice 356A horn button. I may have enlarged the trim ring slightly unfolding and refolding the edge. Do not reinstall the trim ring and leather crest assembly with out first putting the plastc base on the steering wheel so that you can line up the crest properly. Especially if you glue it. Steve

Well, that settles it. I don't have to take my leather off and put padding under it! Don't remember the ridge along the circumference though...I'll have to look.

And mine's been "unglued" for years. But for whatever reason, it just sets there--not really a press fit, but it doesn't fall out. Or at least it hasn't yet... I just give it a little twist from time to time to line it back up.
    Roger
    68 Sand Beige 911 Coupe #11830091
    84 Moss Green 911 Carrera

but then there's always my favorite, looks home made with an old decal!

cheers, Mike
    Member#1664
    1972 911 S/RSR to Martini Prototype specification
    http://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=15294