Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Location of SWB horn relay

Location of SWB horn relay

Where is the horn relay located in a SWB coupe? I haven't found any hints in the Vol I or II of Factory Repair manuals.

Thanks!

- Neil
    '67 911S (Ol' Ivory & the Rust Bucket)
    '82 Hewlett Packard 34C

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    There's a relay under the driver's floorboard (on left hand drive cars). If I recall correctly, that's the horn relay.
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet

Horn relay (black 5 spade - 2 red, 2 black/green, 1 brown/white wire) is in the front of the compartment adjacent to the windshield washer pump and battery.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    _B
    Sent from a pay phone

888888 eL, Oph'eL'ia

Instagram: werk_crew
    www.werkcrew.com
    www.werkcrew.tumblr.com
    www.handofwinter.tumblr.com

PS - Don't mix the brown/white wire that goes to the horn relay and the brown wire that goes to the pump or your horn will stay on...ask me how I know. Get some light down there when you wire it all back up.

EDIT: you're and your - my face is red.
    _B
    Sent from a pay phone

888888 eL, Oph'eL'ia

Instagram: werk_crew
    www.werkcrew.com
    www.werkcrew.tumblr.com
    www.handofwinter.tumblr.com

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bob tilton
    PS - Don't mix the brown/white wire that goes to the horn relay and the brown wire that goes to the pump or you're horn will stay on...ask me how I know.
    Hey, my horns have been known to spontaneously detonate--I don't need to rewire. I probably should install a new "spring" under the horn button.
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet

Horn relay (black 5 spade - 2 red, 2 black/green, 1 brown/white wire) is in the front of the compartment adjacent to the windshield washer pump and battery.
    Thanks everyone!

Bob, thanks for the safety tip and the photo! I was thinking that it might be near the battery. The gray and yellow relays in front of the foot pedals did have the wire colors shown on the wiring diagram, which is what led to my question.

Cheers!

- Neil
    '67 911S (Ol' Ivory & the Rust Bucket)
    '82 Hewlett Packard 34C

Quote Originally Posted by bob tilton View Post
    Can anyone help? I ordered a replacement relay from Pelican and this is what came (I borrowed the Stoddard pic but its the same relay). Besides just not looking right, it doesn't have the right number of spades. My relay is by the battery, and does look like the pic Bob shows above - 5 spades. Other suppliers call for the round relay. Is there a source for the correct original one? My car is a Nov '65 build 302596. Thanks in advance.

Here is the sierra madre relay - it doesn't look right either...

Update...

OK - after a bit more research it seems the original relay - p/n 901-615-102-00 has been superseded by 911-615-103-01, which from numerous sources looks like the new one above. So, my new question is - how do I run the existing wires to the new one, starting at 12 o'clock and going around? Again, 5 wires now going onto only 4 spades. Fwiw I note the bottom 6 o'clock spade is brass/copper, the other 3 are silver. Thanks,

Last edited by luke-44; 07-04-2013 at 10:49 AM.

Thanks, I had found that posting, and it helped for sure. But how to solve the 5 pin/4 pin was the question.

OK, moving on, I've got my horn (s) working. I have figured out how to do this and will post for those who come later.

First of all, a basic understanding of what a relay is and how it's wired and labeled. Once I had that down pat, the rest followed. A great video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkG22KgciwY

Thanks to Moss Motors - a supplier of my TR3 stuff for this video. As they noted, the numbering for relays is universal. Sure enough, the new relay has the same numbers.

Then, the final piece - an adapter to connect 2 ground wires (one from each horn) to one spade, and then everything falls into place.

Last edited by luke-44; 07-04-2013 at 04:46 PM.

It's worth a try to straighten the tabs on the cover, remove the cover and clean the points. It's worked for me in the past.