Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carpets - Group Buy

Carpets - Group Buy

I posted this over on DDK. Can get a group discount from http://www.autosintl.net

http://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=21303

Let's know if any interest.

Thanks
    Derek
    '72 911E 2.4 Coupe RHD - Blue

I'm interested -- if these are the very best quality that can be had...

I have seen some examples of recent auto international work, the carpet looks fine but they do a poor job of creating the right angle pocket in the foot well, think they are using too light a fibre board backing or not creating the right bend in the first place
    Clyde Boyer

1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed
    1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed my first ever 911 (1995)

Early S Registry Member #294
    First Aussie R Gruppe Member #366
    TYP 901 Register Inc #6

For a mintue there, I thought this was for carpets from Autobahn Interiors. Tony used to make Autos carpet kits, then went it on his own. I feel like he took the best with him.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

FYI....

Tony from Autobahn Interiors threw out the patterns he had used that were from Auto's Intl. for the carpets (and headliners and sport seats etc. etc).

Tony received NOS and original carpet kits from other members such as Sithot, Gary Emory at Parts Obsolete, Nate Cantwell (Manhattan Trophy Winner), myself, and I'm sure others as well.

He created new patterns from these originals so that the fit would be correct with the original....even if it took more time to install the item, as he had been hearing from his customers that they wanted "correct" interior pieces, not just good looking fabric that was easier to install.

The end result from Tony is that you get a more correct fitting (and looking) interior.

I'm sure he would probably work with the members, if there was a particular item that you were looking for, and no doubt in my mind that Auto's Intl. is doing this as Tony has taken a big bite out of their business.

For those who don't know....Tony's father and uncle were both "trimmers" which is what the automotive industry calls those people who do car interiors. He cut his teeth working for his father and uncle, and then went to work for Auto's International. He worked for Auto's Intl. for almost 20 years, starting in the backroom sewing together carpet kits, and ultimately ending up working on every interior part on every type of Porsche out there. Ultimately Tony ended up in the front room being the contact guy at Auto's that you would talk to when you did your interior restoration.

A few years ago, Tony struck out on his own....opening up his own shop and for the first year essentially doing all the work himself, his wife managing the books, his daughter the website, and his younger son apprenticing for him (and packaging and shipping).

He has added a couple of guys that he has known for a long time, but Tony is still sewing carpet kits, making headliners, and installing all these items in the customers cars. I know for a fact that he will be sitting in the evening with his family, watching TV and be sewing a wrap around a steering wheel.

All my work goes to Tony...every last bit, I know what quality I'm getting, I know the price is great, and I think Tony's a hell of a nice guy.

Just my .02

Eric

I had no problem using Tony but he did not have the patterns for RHD and did not advise a price.

So does Tony do RHD now?

For some reason when i try to use his site none of the links appear, Vista must need some sort of attachment.

Clyde, whom have you used in the past for RHD that you were happy with?

Guys, I have been working with Agustin at Autos Intnl for a while now on RHD carpet sets. I was in the factory last week discussing patterns again, especially the kick panel areas and am in the process of getting some RHD carpets sent over from which to make more patterns. We already have the coupe front mats sorted, but not Targa RHD.

Agustin sources the salt/pepper carpet from the same place in Germany that Classic Porsche buys their carpet from . I asked them (Classic Porsche) when I visited Zuffenhausen last year. But you cannot get the original looking backing material nor the edge trimming tape so the carpets are as good as you can get - fr the price.

Clyde asked me to check on the small front pockets on the kick panels and its a case of correctly bending the cardboard backing they sew into the carpets into the shape oyu want. Autos Int dont supply it pre-bent.

The carpet available for 356's is far closer to original than what can be had for early 911's. Believe me, I've looked.
    Phil Lack
    Early 911-S Registry # 690
    R-Gruppe # 367
    Past President: Australian TYP901 Register Inc. # 0002

2.0 '66 911R : sold
    2.0 '68 911S : sold
    2.4 '72 911E coupe original Aubergine
    2.4 '72 911E :sold
    2.4 '72 911T : sold
    3.6 '94 993 :sold
    3.6 '97 993 C2S :sold
    '01 Ferrari 360 sold
    '15 CLA250 Benz
    '12 BMW 1M coupe (OMG!)

Update - This is the mail I rec'd overnight from Auto Intl. After a min first order of three, group can avail of discount going forward.

Hi Derek, perhaps they can use your name as a reference for the
    discount, see if you can coordinate to have them send their order by
    email or fax within one week of each other. The initial sale should
    be for 3 sets, after that it does not matter. We can extend the
    discount if they use your name. Thanks Auggie

Forgive my ignorance, but for RHD cars wouldn't he just flip his patterns over (upside down for the horizontally challenged) and make them??????? Am I missing something here?
    Paul Schooley
    71 911T (RS wanabe w/2.7L juice)
    S Reg #863
    R Gruppe #330