Several conversations I've had with members here (and feedback I got in a similar thread on Pelican, http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread.php?t=422970) have confirmed that I'm taking the right approach to buying my first 911. However after coming close but no cigar on 4 cars this year - most recently this week - I'm beginning to think I need to rethink that approach.

At this point I think it won't hurt to post a WTB, if anything to get a fresher reality check. I'm basically elaborating on what I posted when I introduced myself http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ad.php?t=18889 and have hinted at in other posts.

I'm looking for a Sportomatic coupe, 70-73.5 T or 69-73 E. Sunroof coupe okay if no rust caused by sunroof failure or drain blockages. If an E, preferably one that's had the hydropneumatic front suspension already replaced. The Sporto transmission itself should be in good working order. Ideally the engine will have received the necessary maintenance and updates to be used reliably.

Structurally the car should be solid and not require major repair. Color is not important, though my preference is for nonmetallics other than red simply for ease of matching and maintenance. (Well, that and the fact that many cars get a quick shot of "resale red" no matter what their original color.) The interior can be tired as long as it's in working order, but preferably intact.

I would ideally like to stay in the $15-20K US range. At that price I know I will not get a top quality car; however I know from recent transactions that a quite acceptable car can be had for $17-18K. What I hope to find is a car that can be driven as is for a while without major repair or restoration. Once I've mastered the art of driving an early 911, I can then consider addressing cosmetics and any possible mechanical upgrades.

From this board alone I know I'm not alone in looking for one of these. There seems to be a growing demand for Sportos that leads me to conclude that there will continue to be support for them. If there's any additional information I can provide to elaborate (except MRI scans of my knees) or if I'm off base with my expectations, please let me know. I've learned an awful lot from reading this board and I don't expect I'll ever stop learning!

Thanks,
Ed