Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Opinions on this car? Someone willing to look at it?

Opinions on this car? Someone willing to look at it?

I lurk here often but have only posted a few times. I have been looking for the right early 911 for awhile. I have been open to different types of cars, as long as high standards and pricing that makes sense... i.e. unmolested original, correctly restored, - OR - a very nicely done hot rod/clone.

I saw this car on Truspeed website recently. They are interested in my 19k mile pristine 993 C2S. We discussed a potential trade scenario. I would be appreciative of your impressions about this "RS clone" for what it is. I know that the bar is set high on this board...so in advance, this car is not going to win any originality contests or concours competitions. It's more of a driver, I know. However, for what it is -- thoughts? And if there is anyone for whom a trip to Truspeed is easy, would you be willing to PM or email me jbtrichel@aol.com? We could figure out a way to make it worth your time to check the car out (?)...

thanks

http://www.truspeedmotorcars.com/vas..._stock_no=1555

what is the asking price?
    Bill Woods
    S Registry #1005

Please don't take this wrong...

I think down the road you would be kicking yourself for selling a pristine 19K mile 993 C2S for this car......

On the one hand you have the real deal, on the other an illusion of what it will never really be......Just my 2 cents....
    '73 914 2.0
    '74 911 Coupe
    '74 911 Targa
    '78 924
    '84 944
    '86 944 Turbo
    '88 930S M505 (current)
    '96 993 Coupe (current)
    '73 911T (MFI) (current)

'84 944 (current)
    Early 911S Registry #1030

Opinions on this car...

I'm not certain you haven't solicited unwanted advice on thr proposed deal,
    but as it pertains to this '73 CIS RS look ..the car is clean,well turned out and appears to be a great little cars and coffee poser.
    If you want opinions weather it's prudent to trade down as such, it depends
    greatly on what you plan to do with the car..
    Should you expect it to replace your C2S in every way I think you should
    rehtink that assumption. A '73 CIS coupe in no way can compete day to day
    with what you have...but then , I have a 993TT and a carrera eng RS clone!
    Go with what makes you feel alive ...enjoy Bert

I have a very nice RS-look '72 coupe. I built it from a roller of unknown provenance.

Given time and money, I could duplicate it.

I also had a '97 C2S I bought new and had to sell a year later when it had 2,500 miles (IRS debt) and I doubt there is any way I could duplicate that car.

Think about it. Think about how you'll feel about it five years from now.
    techweenie.com

My parts fetcher: 2016 Tesla S | Currently building: 73 RSR tribute and 69 RS tribute

Well , personally I think the 73 CIS Coupe will become a very sought after 911 someday it is now but it hasn't quite skyrocketed yet it will. I have owned a couple 73 1/2 911s and they are simple awesome drivers cars. However they are slow you will love the look of the car but you will miss the power of your C2s which I have also driven and I really like the 964s. It it was still all original I would say go for it. However that car is beautiful looks like a job well done except that its all show and no go as far as an RS replica is.

If speed isn't important to you and driveability is the 73 is a great driver. However if you love hitting your accelerator on your C2 and getting that large grin on your face you will regret selling the C2 for the 73.

If you just like the sunday cruise or just hitting the road for a leisurely road trip then it really might not be an issue. I would still keep looking for a nice RS replica with a little more power under the lid!

Or you trade up, and start finding all the pieces you would need to bring that car back to it's original state while enjoying the look of the RS just in case the day finally arrives when the 73 CIS cars skyrocket in value!

Just my 2 cents ,

After driving a C2s you will be disappointed in the HP of the 73 140HP , don't get me wrong I love the 73 CIS car they just dont compare to the 2.4S engine or the 2.7RS motor it just depends on your driving style and what aspect of driving a 911 puts a smile on your face when you sit back behind the wheel!

JW
    72T Coupe - hotrod.
    72S "Tangie"
    73S Poop Brown
    69T Irish Green
    69S Secret Project
    S Registry Dues Paying member #1438

If you are going to buy a hot rod 911 buy one with a real motor. The CIS cars are very nice to drive but they are not hot rods. If you want a nice straight factory car buy one of those. If you want a hot rod buy one that is done completely, who wants a fast looking car that goes slow. A slow looking car that goes fast is a different story.
    Phil

Not a fair trade if you ask me....
    Aaron Hatz
    Flat Six, inc.
    www.flat6.com

Follow us on Facebook
    www.facebook.com/flatsixinc

cash differential

They are asking 69K for the red C2S they have which is also low mileage. Unless they are willing to give you a large cash payment plus trade,stay away.I doubt they have that in mind.You are going to lose your shirt.Reread the advice of others here and get more horse power for your buck.Tom
    Member:S Registry #864

thanks for all the opinions

I should have said that there would be cash associated with the deal... (from their side)...

I am definitely on the fence about this particular car, which is why I wondered if someone knew it, had seen it, etc.

As for the 993 vs. older car, I have decided to do something older, just dont know what. I like the 993 and especially such a great example, but it doesnt (for me) have the fun feel of the earlier cars for weekend driving. Don't tell anyone, but I have more fun when I drive my all original 66 912 than when I drive the 993... I know, I am a weirdo...