Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Repro Aluminum License Plate Panel

Repro Aluminum License Plate Panel

Can anyone share their preference/experience with these reproduction panels? I'm considering buying one if I can't locate an original (very nice condition).

These are the distributors I've found so far . . .

Stoddard
    Einmalig
    Rennspeed

What do you think?
    Tom Ching
    69E Burgundy

Probably all stamped by the same company. The repros are slightly thicker than the originals.
    Neil
    '73 911S targa

I had one that was just a smidgen narrow in width but that's been a few years ago. If they are selling these in quanity I imagine that whatever could be wrong has been adjusted.
    They are thicker and seem softer than the thinner originals which may have been annealed to be a bit tougher.

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Stoddard parts

The mounting tabs need to be bent into position, but the spot welds are so weak that the tabs break off. I found this out after mine was painted, I then saw a post, from someone with a similar experience. I suggest you drill a hole and use a nut and bolt to secure the tab prior to bending.

I was trying to replace the rear panel and the rubber covered bumperets with the AL panel and chrome bumpers, the new (repro) bumpers were of such poor quality that not only did they not fit, but the burs on the chrome were catching on my hand. I tossed the lot and put back the original parts.

The longer I do this the more I appreciate good original parts, Most Repro stuff either does not fit, looks different, wrong material. I would rather wait for a part to turn up, than spend the extra time fiddling with a Repro.
    Rob Abbott

Quote Originally Posted by super9064
    The mounting tabs need to be bent into position, but the spot welds are so weak that the tabs break off. I found this out after mine was painted, I then saw a post, from someone with a similar experience. I suggest you drill a hole and use a nut and bolt to secure the tab prior to bending.

I was trying to replace the rear panel and the rubber covered bumperets with the AL panel and chrome bumpers, the new (repro) bumpers were of such poor quality that not only did they not fit, but the burs on the chrome were catching on my hand. I tossed the lot and put back the original parts.

The longer I do this the more I appreciate good original parts, Most Repro stuff either does not fit, looks different, wrong material. I would rather wait for a part to turn up, than spend the extra time fiddling with a Repro.
    Confirm weak tab welds. Steel panel back on my car.

Confirm poor fit on repro bumper guards.

Confirm that good original parts are worth the wait.
    _B
    Sent from a pay phone

888888 eL, Oph'eL'ia

Instagram: werk_crew
    www.werkcrew.com
    www.werkcrew.tumblr.com
    www.handofwinter.tumblr.com

Does anyone know the weight difference between an original steel vs. original aluminum license plate panel?

Thanks,
    Bert Jayasekera
    1970 911T - Tangerine Orange
    Early 911S Registry #494
    R Gruppe #167

Weight Diff

I don't know but for me it's not the primary reason for my search. I'm trying to reduce the radiant heat from the muffler that gets trapped by the license plate panel and I believe Aluminum is a better heat transfer material than Steel. My plan is to wrap the muffler with an appropriate heat shield (www.heatshieldproducts.com) and if I can find an Aluminum License Plate Panel . . . replace my Steel panel.

In theory the combination should significantly reduce the heat that gets fed back to the engine compartment and hopefully have an affect on the operating temp of the engine.

I've tested this by removing my Steel License Panel and driving the car without it. I noticed a 10 degree reduction at the gauge. And for me this is significant because I really want to avoid installing an oil cooler in my car.

Currently I'm running 220 degrees on the street (85 degree ambient) and I think I can get it to 210 by simply retarding the timing to 5 degrees (ATDC) and fattening up the air/fuel mixture.

My goal is to get it to 200 degrees on the street so I'll have some room to play when I run it on the track.

Of course this may all be for nothing . . . but it's fun trying out new ideas.
    Tom Ching
    69E Burgundy

Quote Originally Posted by TEC69E
    ...this is significant because I really want to avoid installing an oil cooler in my car.

Have you thought about a cool collar?
    Neil
    '73 911S targa

Yeah, unfortunately for me they are no longer available. I'll bet if you've got one they are going to sky rocket in value . . . just like the coveted 911S
    Tom Ching
    69E Burgundy

Tom - the Al panel is not going to make any difference for your heat issue - trust me on that.