Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Delanair/Porscheair early (SWB) AC units

Delanair/Porscheair early (SWB) AC units

I'd like to look into installing an early Porschair/Delanair AC unit into my '68 if it does not involve "too" much hacking.

I have found some pictures of random early cars and also this website detailing the system.

http://www.912registry.org/restore/912air.htm

A few questions:

1. Does anyone have one of these units for sale?
    2. Does anyone have literature on these, especially an installation manual?

I'm sure some mixing/matching/updating would be required, but I think the basic vents, decklid condenser, blower/evap unit, and front fenderwell condenser are doable.

Any comments welcome. And yes, I fully expect some "what the heck are you doing wanting to install AC in a '68" comments, but I feel it would be an improvement that would make me drive my car even more than I do now. And if I find the period correct unit, it would be all that much more "cool".....sorry....

I think there are some well known early cars with AC, right? Even an Rgruppe car or two.....

Bummer, no comments from anyone about this?

aid cond

The Behr A/C set up is shown in the Porsche Workshop Manual. It has about 30 pages

I have a 71 T with the Koolaire system, and although it's not working it's all still there, because maybe someday I'll get it operational again. I offer this in case you want pictures. In this area (Ft.Worth) you really need to have a fender mount oil cooler because the oil temp gets high enough on a 100 degree day, and running an AC just makes it worse. I used to install these at the dealer in the early seventies, and it does involve making some significant cuts in the car. RIght now though your biggest problem will be coming up with all the bits and pieces from compressor mount to adel hose mounts that used to be all supplied in one big box. I might even have some old instruction sheets I can fax you. The compressor mounting will be tricky because you have to clear the carbs, and the Koolaire, Delanaire, and VPC mounts all mounted on the chain case cover 6mm studs, which meant that they all fell off eventually, really POOR system. The mount you want to copy, or buy, is the factory Behr mount. It mounted to the engine mount console and was bullet proof. Then you'll need to find an engine A/C crank pulley that will line up with your compressor pulley. You are going to have to carefully plan what parts you're going to use and how this mish mash will fit together. Hopefully you have some minor fabrication and welding skills. This can be done but it won't be a cakewalk.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Gunzel, I think the SWB 65-68 systems were not Behr factory installed.

Ed, interesting. The non Behr compressors mounted on the tiny chain cover studs, that seems pretty short sighted considering the vibration! The '68 motor I am rebuilding has a dual pulley already. It has the gold factory one, and there is another heavy pulley with two allen heads that just slides into the front of the factory pulley. It's all held together with a longer bolt into the crank. So, I think this may be an AC pulley?

Basically I am looking for the parts and also some kind of installation literature the dealers used for the Porscheair/Delanaire SWB 65-68 AC system.

Hi Fritter, there were factory Behr systems installed the SWB cars. It is covered in the factory shop manual version 1. I have a customer here with a 67 S targa and although the AC stuff has been removed it clearly had been a factory install, much too well done to be any kind of dealer install. If you can't find these I can send you copies. You're right about your crank pulley, that was how the aftermarket did it. Can't even begin to tell you how many of those chain housing threads I've helicoiled.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

I would repair a car that had A/C to make it functional. I would not add it to a car that never had it. The cutting to be done in the body to perform a good installation is not worth it.

For this procedure be ready to cut; and I do mean CUT.
    There are several nasty holes to be put into the body and bulkheads.

1- at the passenger footwell for the intake to the evaporator (usually very ugly if done at the dealer)
    1- at the center of under dash bulkhead for the air diverter (ditto)
    1- at the front of the car behind the bumper for air intake for the front condensor blower which adds additional cooling by blowing air across it.
    1- a hole in the pan for the blower to push air through.
    2- holes for the receiver drier
    2- holes for the lines into the engine compartment to reach the compressor
    1- drain for the smugglers box evaporator.

All in all it is not a task to be taken on for fun. IF you have to have it, I'd leave it to somebody who does it for a living. Griffiths, Scott's Independent or whoever is capable. The 911 is not suited to an easy A/C system. An old street rod with the engine in the front is a lot easier; actually mere child's play compared to the 911.

I wouldn't do it.

Here's some dealer installed 30 years ago "holes".

Good luck,

Tom
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Quote Originally Posted by edmayo
    Hi Fritter, there were factory Behr systems installed the SWB cars. It is covered in the factory shop manual version 1. I have a customer here with a 67 S targa and although the AC stuff has been removed it clearly had been a factory install, much too well done to be any kind of dealer install. If you can't find these I can send you copies. You're right about your crank pulley, that was how the aftermarket did it. Can't even begin to tell you how many of those chain housing threads I've helicoiled.
    Ed, I stand corrected..... If you could find the time to send me the copies I would greatly appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by sithot
    I would repair a car that had A/C to make it functional. I would not add it to a car that never had it. The cutting to be done in the body to perform a good installation is not worth it.
    For this procedure be ready to cut; and I do mean CUT.
    There are several nasty holes to be put into the body and bulkheads.
    1- at the passenger footwell for the intake to the evaporator (usually very ugly if done at the dealer)
    1- at the center of under dash bulkhead for the air diverter (ditto)
    1- at the front of the car behind the bumper for air intake for the front condensor blower which adds additional cooling by blowing air across it.
    1- a hole in the pan for the blower to push air through.
    2- holes for the receiver drier
    2- holes for the lines into the engine compartment to reach the compressor
    1- drain for the smugglers box evaporator.
    All in all it is not a task to be taken on for fun. IF you have to have it, I'd leave it to somebody who does it for a living. Griffiths, Scott's Independent or whoever is capable. The 911 is not suited to an easy A/C system. An old street rod with the engine in the front is a lot easier; actually mere child's play compared to the 911.
    I wouldn't do it.
    Here's some dealer installed 30 years ago "holes".
    Good luck,
    Tom
    Tom, wow, that IS a lot of cutting. Believe me, if I did it, I would be a lot more retentive with the cutting, etc. I would try to cut the pieces so they could be saved and welded back in at a later time.

All of the A/C systems I've seen in SWBs are absolutely hideous. I've seen factory systems, but never a factory install (the Yankee sheet metal screws gave it away). It wouldn't work when you were all done either! They used a really small condensor attached to the engine lid. Truth be told the A/C really didn't work worth a damn in 911s until the 964 came out in '89.

The massive compressor and overly stout bracketry also weighs probably 40Lbs (excatly where you don't need it). I imagine when you engage that big piston compressor it feels like your passenger just set the parking brake half way. Don't do it!
    Tom F.

'67 911S Slate Gray
    '70 911T 2.8 hotrod (in progress)
    '92 964