Thread: Looking for MFI help.

Looking for MFI help.

The mechanic is having trouble adjusting the mechanical fuel injection on my 69 911S.
    Does anyone have a photo of the timing marks on the cranckshaft pully that drives the fuel pump? Apparantly it has numbers on it, and mine have since worn off the unit. The mechanic has been trying to adjust it by idle sound, but loses the setting when he attempts to tighten it up after making the adjustment. He thinks a photo will help him out. He's familiar with working on this system, but hasn't worked on one since this car came to him over 10 years ago. All his tech data is 1980 and later. I'm racing to Borders to try to find a tech manual for him.
    Does anyone have this info, or the photo? It would help out greatly. Thanks in advance if you have this info.
    Scott

Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Thank you Peter! I am forwarding this info to him as we speak.
    Scott

Looking for MFI help.

I'm afraid what you're saying is not making sense to me. Is he timing the fuel injection pump, or the ignition timing. The timing mark on the crank pulley for the injection pump has two letters "FE" not numbers, and you don't time the fuel injection pump with engine running, and it doesn't change once you set it. The ignition timing marks do have numbers 30-35, but there are also matching notches on the edge of the pulley. The numbers are also stamped so they don't wear off. Maybe we need a better description of what he is trying to do.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

I'm going off his description. Unfortunately I never saw what he was talking about, the car wasn't on the lift when I was there. I printed the link out that was given to me, and it seemed to make sense to him.
    In May, he showed the rubber belt was disintegrated and turned to dust. He actually pulled it out in pieces. It was the belt that is hidden behind the intake box as you look into the engine compartment. He replaced that belt.

My understanding was that it went from the fuel injector to the fuel pump? Apparently that belt timing is what is making life difficult for him, and keeping my car in the shop for four and a half months now, grrrrrr. He said that there were worn numbers on the unit he needed, and wanted to know if I had access to that info. At this point, I'm just trying to get it out of the shop and get a couple of hundred miles on it to see what the engine is going to do. Then get paint and interior done on it and through the winter months and have it running by next spring.
    I'll let you know what happens this weekend. thanks for your help.
    Scott

Ed is correct; here is a diagram of the associated parts. The pump belt is installed static and the pump MUST be timed for the engine to run properly.
    Maybe a new mechanic is needed if this has taken 4 months. That's about 3 months, 29 days and 23 hours too long.

Good luck,

Tom
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

I appreciate the blow up schematic, thanks Tom. I will definately take that to him. As for the time frame... I'm lost for words. The guy is a family friend who has worked on this car for 10 of the 20 years the car has been in the family. He's worked on Porsches forever, just hasn't seen an MFI since our car fell off the grid in 98. I was bummed to miss going to Monterey with it this year. That was the goal for me.
    He broke his foot this summer, among a bunch of other things that happen in life. He's being more than fair with the price for maintenance, and is the only guy with 911 knowledge in a 60 mile radius from here. He's done the fuel system, brakes, axles, and electical so far. Getting ready to replace ball joints and all the bushings in the front (winter project) Even installed a push button fuel squirt system for the start.
    Not sure how to push the guy any harder other than to turn into a jerk, which I don't want to do. Just trying to help him with what I can in the mean and make my presence known at the shop several times a week. Just getting antsy, I want to drive it before winter hits.

MFI belt is Porsche 999-192-030-040
    OEM part is from Contitech CT561

Here's the factory MFI manual...
    http://www.356racing.com/mechfuelinj.pdf