Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: advise which 911 to buy with potential, what 911 would you buy now before it gets hot

advise which 911 to buy with potential, what 911 would you buy now before it gets hot

Hi Guys

I have decided to buy a 911 race model, any year from 75-05.

I would like to ask you guys which model, that is currently affordable, that would be the best purchase considered the future collector value? I am talking about a car the should'nt cost more than 75k$.

What about a 964 rs america or a 930 turbo or what is your best bid on a car that is fun to drive and in the future will be a desired collectible?

In other words what 911 special model / race model, would you buy now before it gets to exspensive.

thank you in advance.

Looking forward to your responds.

rdgs thomas

So many questions, so few answers....

How about an early Turbo?

There's not a lot of them, they are raw and appeal to people who like to drive these cars the way they were intended.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    1967 911S Coupe
    1991 944S2 Coupe

Past projects:
    1967 912 Coupe
    1969 911T Coupe
    1985.5 944 SR Coupe

Although the RS America has a good following the car to own is one of the 45 Cup USA cars that were imported. It's hard to say if one of the 25 converted cars or one of the 20 unconverted cars will have more value ? Me I once owned one of the converted cars great fun !

Good Luck
    Joe Annicelli
    Early 911S Registry #751
    Polo Red/Black 1967 Porsche 911S Coupe "Walter"
    Black/Red 1967 Alfa GTJr. Coupe "Nero"
    Italian Red 1994 Ducati 900SS/SP looks fast standing still
    Italian Red 1957 Gilera 150 Sport

Ahhhh the sixties... I envision myself one early Saturday morning wearing plaid shorts, black shoes with white socks smoking a cigarette heading to the hardware store to buy a bag of nails.
    SWB cars are an acquired taste however once acquired theirs no turning back.

Are you looking for a car for the track or something that is track "prepped" from the factory? Are you looking to turn some fun laps at the track or a future collectable? If you want something for the track that looks cool and gets the adrenalin going, then I maaaay be able to help you. I just today considered selling our 76 track car, but haven't made a definitive decision yet. PM me if you are looking for a track car and might be interested.
    Scott H.
    1969 Coupe LtWt
    1973.5 911T

Few of my favorites are the 89 Speedster, Any of the turbo look coupes, 1989 Coupe, and the Mk 1 GT3. I do not think there are any hidden great cars that know one knows of yet but these I think will only get stronger.

Don

I think it all depends on how seriously you want to race it and how much you want to spend on maintainance. If you really want to go all out you may want to consider a "home" built car. If you wad it up you just get another chassis and rebuild car. The factory cars are great but they are expensive. I've raced a few early 911's, great cars but my favorites on the track are the 964 models.
    Phil

Steer clear of the 930

Hi
    I spent many years racing a 3.3 930 Turbo and the cost of purchase will pale into insignificance compared to the cost of running it.

The best bet is to buy a car that someone else has spent the money on getting it sorted.
    Cheers

Paul

Early911S member #1398

50 356 Cab
    57 356 Carrera
    61 356 Roadster
    73 RS #0073
    79 930 Turbo
    93 3.8RSR

Thomas, from Denmark?

I am not an experienced collector at all, so read the below with that in mind:

I have noticed that over the last year or so the number of "collectible" porsches for sale in Europe has "exploded". I am sure that you are familair with mobile.de (which I like to use as a European market gauge on the European mkt, not sites like collector driver as those are primarily driven by dealers). If you have kept track of that site you will have seen the steady growth in supply and the steady increase in days advertised (slower turnover). Also on this forum I have seen several remarks that the members are keeping close track of ebay prices to see if any weakness in car prices is starting to show up in the US. What I understand is that some weakness has already started to show up in the T's and E's but that the S's er still reasonably strong (or is there already a sign of weakness in the US even in the s's etc, anyone?)

My point being that I personally do not think that this is the right time to be looking for the last porsche model to increase in value. It's like buying "end of cylce assets" at the end of the investment cycle: great for a quick return just before the cycle peaks, but the riskiest and also not the asset which will recover first and will make for the soundest investment (if cars are anything like that to begin with, other than in the last 4 years of an investment cycle).

I would personally focus on trying to get a model which is well known for its popularity which now may be just outside your reach but may well become in your reach within the next year or so.

The one thing that may go against you though when waiting too long is the US$ (if you are not in the US). It has started to strengthen and it would not surprise me if it will continue to do so. So if you want to buy a US car and are in Europe think about hedging yourself by already buying 75.000 US$....

Or buy 75.000 in US shares, wait a year or so and buy a 125.000 US$ car in the US or a 100.000+ Euro car, but this is no investment forum...

Or buy a Tesla (I think its available for about 100.000 US). If the EV vehicle mkt is going to be the next thing the Tesla might just be the car to have and hold.... goes like hell, the only thing missing is the sound track....

cheers Wiebe
    Turf
    10/66 911S coupe
    87 911 Carrera Convertible

Talking advise which 911 to buy with potential, what 911 would you buy now before it gets hot

Quote Originally Posted by varunan123
    1992 964 turbo S

Raj
    +1

Paul
    1993 964 C2 GPW
    1973 BMW 2002 Verona (Daily)
    1974 914 2.0 Project A/X (in progress)
    1972 911T 2.4 Webers - SOLD
    89 BMW M3 Lachs - my former DD - SOLD
    https://youtu.be/QrF6VEVh1NQ

I think a 964 turbo S is above your budget, but if you can stretch a little bit you can buy a good 964RS.
    It's an exceptional car, the engine/steering/suspension package is just phenomenal IMHO. And it's a RS.
    I would buy a nice, original and unmodified example, they will always command a premium and is already very good on track.
    Here's mine, one owner, 10.800kms:
    Attachment 50832
    Andrea
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Andrea
    Early S registry #1082