Thread: Downside of Carb Rain-shields for a daily driver?

Downside of Carb Rain-shields for a daily driver?

Hi guys,

I did a search on this topic but couldn't find anything.

Currently I have a pair of K&N air cleaners on the car. I'd like to install a pair of rain-shields with the wire-mesh tops on the velocity stacks. What would be the downside of this on a car that gets driven a lot? I clean the K&N filters every once in a while and I'm always amazed at how much dirt is in the filters. Without the filters all that dirt would be sucked into the combustion chambers, but what are the long-term effects of this?

Thanks so much,
    n.
    EarlySRegistry #1426
    R Gruppe #525

http://nicolashunziker.com

I don't drive the car much. Only fast blasts down "the Snake" on Mulholland for the weekend.

The only effects I notice are a much more louder roar, more room in the engine bay, and a cool look for the engine.

See you at the GAF
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

would look cool, but those filters on top of the stacks can't stop much dirt, I wouldn't think. seems like you'd be giving up engine life. fine for a race car that gets regular rebuilds though. K&N's flow very well, I'd be surprised if the stack filters flowed much more.

Dirt, man: and I don't just mean the clouds that rise when you put a wheel off track-- the air we breathe contains zillions (technical term) of dust particles which will get in your intakes, cylinders, bearings, everything. It's a sure recipe to destroy the engine.

Sure, the factory used them, but they also tore down the engines after every race-- the benefits of the additional power offset the expense, particularly because they were the manufacturer.

I use an air filter even on my race car for the above reasons.
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

Your air filter protects against particle wear

Note the second photo and comments here...

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/bearin...aranalysis.htm

Bearing surfaces which reveal scratches or "Trenches" are typical of particle wear. The oil filter element should reveal the culprit.

You have a very expensive engine that has parts that are becoming harder and harder to replace (such as your crankshaft).

The rainshields are definitely trick-looking. Just depends upon how risk averse you are and how long you'd like your engine to last.
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

The tea strainers look cool but they only block big chunks and block a surprising amount of air.
    Phil

Thanks for all your replies.

I'll stick with the K&N filters but I'm building my own filter base and cover plate out of aluminium, the K&N parts are incredibly heavy.

Cheers,
    n.
    EarlySRegistry #1426
    R Gruppe #525

Exclamation

they used to be Al, but warping allowed dirty, unfiltered air inside; hence the heavy steel.

you need to be absolutely sure to get a good seal and thin Al alone will NOT do that.

or you can rebuild the motor every few thou...

I guess I'll be sticking with the steel then, maybe I'll get some rainshields instead. BTW, has anyone measured the airflow with rainshields installed?

Cheers,
    n.
    EarlySRegistry #1426
    R Gruppe #525