Thread: 73T Targa Delimma

Question 73T Targa Delimma

Seeking some advise from the experts. Kilodawg and I are in disagreement on my in work renovation project. I purchased a 73T Targa from a fellow pelican/early S member. My plan was to put this back in its original glory short the original engine/tranny, however I picked up a 2.4T engine and a 5 speed 915 from a 72T figuring it was close to original as I would get. I have been acquiring pieces and have 90% of it ready to go. Car goes in for sodablasting this weekend so I can still switch gears if need be. My plan is to drive the car for a while to work out any kinks and assure it is rock solid and probably sell it after 6 months or so.

I may end up liking it so much, I keep it and sell my 86. Especially since when I am done I will know every little detail about the car.

My ultimate goal is to do something similar with a 72 or 73S. I figured I could practice and make all of the contacts on the T and if I made a few mistakes, it would not hurt as bad with the T versus an S.

The dilemma is kilodawg wants me to build a RS clone or some variant that would have more appeal when I am done. In other words he thinks I should drop a 3.2 in it for the performance and paint it a more desirable color, realizing that is totally subjective. But what we threw around was a Mexican Blue, Gulf Blue, Tangerine or some very unique color that both of us prefer over Metallic Silver which it was originally and what I plan to currently do. Maybe add some sport seats and beef up the suspension. He may pipe in later to clarify his vision.

So, the question for you guys is which way to go? Keeping in mind that at the end of the project I expect to have an extremely well done restored 73 either in original form or in some variant. Which one would have more value to the majority of potential buyers since I most likely will sell it.

Sounds a little like I am trying to just make money but that is not the case at all. I might end up losing money in the long run. It is more about the experience for me. But if I need to sell it in the end, I would like to have it appeal to the widest audience.

I appreciate your feedback. I posted the same thread on Pelican so sorry for the redundancy just looking to get as much feedback as possible.
    Steve
    64 356 C Coupe
    68 Coupe
    70 S Targa
    73 RS Clone (73 T)
    73 914 2.0
    01 Boxster S
    06 Cayenne S
    67 S Light Ivory Coupe (Prior), 67 912 Coupe (Prior),
    68 912 SWT (Prior), 71 T Targa (Prior),86 Carrera Targa (Prior),
    87 930 Coupe (Prior), 93 964 Cab, 96 993 Coupe (Prior)
    88 930 Slant Nose Coupe (Prior), 92 968 Coupe (Prior), 73 914 2.0 (Prior)
    S Registry #1402

You should paint the car the color that YOU want. Especially a T.

My Two Cents:

Warming up a "T" with motor and suspension enhancements will be pluses for a lot of potential buyers. Likewise with color, as long as you don't get too weird. I love Aubergine and Beigegrau, but some people don't. There is a reason someone coined the phrase "resale red", after all.

I personally would resist going down the body mod path with a Targa. Targa RS Clones don't look right to me. Flares and a ducktail really only look right on a coupe.
    Brad Larson
    67 Soft Window S - Polo Red
    00 Boxster S - Speed Yellow

I agree with herrsoftie - a targa should not be done as an RS clone (even if Roger Penski had one build) IMHO it's just not right. My 73T targa has a 3.2 conversion in it and I love the performance - it's a great fast road car. That said I'd never spend the money to do a mechanical conversion on these cars - for reference I figure after I finish a complete body job on my car I'll still have less money in it than the conversion cost alone

If you're going to keep it - make it yours (motor, suspension whatever) but if there's a chance you're going to sell it don't waste your money. I've watched these cars sell for a while and a hot rod doesn't return the investment so the only person who really enjoys it is someone like me who buys the car done and knows how much money they didn't have to put into it.

My car is also silver - it was black originally and I'm not really in love with either color. So I've also been considering a color change, I'd love to hear (and see) ideas for a great vintage porsche color.

You mean there's another Porsche colour besides Tangerine?

Targa + flares = no-no
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

oh-oh !
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Karl: E911SR #792 ; RG #420 ; GS #7

'72T Coupe - Sepia Brown

What Steve was not so clear on is that the 2.4 he currently has was sold to him as a "core" and he currently has no rear fenders on the chassis. Now I never told him RS clone but I did say 3.2, RS flares, appropriate balance of suspension and wheels. My opinion is that a car in that config. would cost less to ready for sale and potentially get more interest than going the route of a standard T with a revamped 2.4 not original to the car.

I'm a coupe guy even though I've owned a Targa in the past but I'll tell you Penske's old RS clone Targa is the best looking Targa I've ever seen.
    '73 914 2.0
    '74 911 Coupe
    '74 911 Targa
    '78 924
    '84 944
    '86 944 Turbo
    '88 930S M505 (current)
    '96 993 Coupe (current)
    '73 911T (MFI) (current)

'84 944 (current)
    Early 911S Registry #1030

example

Here`s a nice example at Auto-Kennel,but he has to be upside down. The 44,000 price is on e-bay.Good color and nice interior.Just depends on what you are looking for and want.That`s a tough sell in this market.Tom
    Member:S Registry #864

Maybe this will give some inspiration.

Penske/Donahue '73 E Targa

http://www.carsauto.com/detail.cfm?V...arga&ID=369123
    67 Normale, Old Rusty
    67 R Inspired and on a Diet
    73 T/ST Caged Beast
    RGruppe #383
    S Registry #739