Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: An Introduction . . . and A Request

Looks very good! It will be a joy, I'm sure.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Great story and a great find. Her little sister #1509 (aka Olivia)says hello from Ohio.
    Great color, LSD, power windows...great options to have!

Have fun!
    Renn-Spot - Cars & parts For Sale - http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/
    1970 911"S" - Black (originally silver)
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    1973 911"T" - Bahia Red - Now Sold
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

Defender of the Normal John Fusco's Avatar
    Welcome. That car should suit you just fine.

Chuck - I'll bet it wouldn't be hard to get a few stories out of Long Ranger for the S's, n'est ce pas ?

Du must schwein haben

901/05 #305701

Bultaco Metralla 62 M8
    1968 BMW R69S

Early911SReg #606

Thumbs up

Rick,

John's right, we'd love you to right up your story with pics and send them to John Dilger for the ESSES at johndilger@aol.com.......

GREAT story, great car......... congrats !!!!

Cheers
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Rick,

This must be the car that was located in Brevard, NC. Congratulations, I know you have been on the hunt for a car just like this for some time. Heck you drove up to Santa Cruz to checkout Patrick and meet the owner Lee before the eBay auction. Kinda nerve racking buying sight unseen isn't it?

I'll second what Bert said, I think a road trip in order from NC to CA.
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

Names and Places

Hey, Everybody . . . .

I'm a little clumsy with this 'remote-control' kind of contact, on-line. Then again, I probably come off a bit brusque in person, too. But I do enjoy the people and the stories and the wonderful cars that come together here. There just isn't enough time, is there?

Bert, I really enjoyed meeting you. And that amazing car of yours. I've been in a few long-hoods --- but yours was the first I ever drove. What a way to get introduced to these cars. And I think yours and Curt's are the only Registry people I have faces for. You mentioned driving cross-country. Although the car is in NC, I doubt it'll ever come to California --- to live, anyway; my family's relocated to Charlotte --- and I'm trying to do the same. So if the car ever comes here, it'll probably be for Monterey and Concourso in August.

What I'd really like to do is take 1059 up to Alaska. I took an M3 up the AlCan to Fairbanks, a few years back. BC and the Yukon have some amazing roads and sights --- and not a lot of cops or traffic. I figure anything a mangy little BMW sedan can do, a Porsche can do . . . FASTER. John The Mechanic has no idea what he's in for.

And Brian, you are correct; 1059 came from Brevard. How's Patrick doing? I saw some pics in the 'Show your Ride' thread, where you drove the car to a meet, right after you bought it. My hero. I remember when I first laid eyes on that car, out back on Lee's daughter's driveway; that car was so nice --- it scared me, still does. And I remember Lee, your note. Haunted. So you're up in Ohio? Haven't travelled much in that part of the country. Kinda far from Southern California; not so far from North Carolina.

Chuck, I would be honored to try to write a submission for the magazine. I'll put something together, along with some pictures. But just so you know --- 1059 is kind of a rat, and probably will be for a while.

I'll be out in Charlotte for the Memorial Day week-end. If anybody on this board is anywhere close-by that week-end and needs a wing-man, just ping me --- 1059 needs some shake-down miles.

Last edited by LongRanger; 12-22-2023 at 06:48 AM.

We Can Be Heroes

Wecome and great story Rick. Thanks for sharing. Kinda sounds a lot like how I purchased my T four years ago. Great car, nice color, and some very cool options. You will really enjoy driving her - enjoy. As for the trip up the Alcan Hwy, I think I know of someone who might want to join you. And he is not far from you in NC.
    Scott H.
    1969 Coupe LtWt
    1973.5 911T

Wow, a road trip up the Alcan hwy. Now that would be quite an adventure in your 2.2S.

One event you to consider is the Rally in the Valley. If you will be in NC in the fall that would be a great way to meet some East Coast guys and see their cars. Just a thought.

Patrick is all dialed in, polished up and ready for the driving season. I'm in Indiana actually but you're right that is not far from NC. Good driving roads down there, especially in the mountains. Again congrats on your car.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

That is NOT a crusty interior!.....uncracked dash?

I wish . . . . plus questions

No, the dash has the usual crack in the corner of the speaker grill. There's also some kind of contact damage on the right side instrument shroud --- and something whacked the dash, too. Maybe 'crusty' is a bit strong. At least all the pieces are there . . . and even sorta line up.

The inside's just kinda dingy, I guess. The car hasn't had a lot of use (ever), plus, it's been in a body shop for most of the last month. What I really want to do is get some hot water, a little Simple Green, some sponges and towels, and give the whole inside a good old-fashioned scrubbing --- headliner-to-carpet. Don't get me wrong; I LOVE old car smell. I just want to get all that 'plaque' off the upholstery and switches and everything so it doesn't feel like I'm in public restroom at the beach.

For me, cosmetic stuff, in general, is kind of a pain; making and keeping a car 'pretty' is expensive, and doesn't make it any faster or more reliable or useable. I don't really need a beautiful interior (although that would be nicer than a paint job), but I do want things clean and sorted, with all the gauges working, clean windows that work, a comfortable seat.

That's why I'll probably live with that crack. I don't have to worry about it ('Yeah, dash is cracked') and it doesn't effect the car's performance.

And I can't see it when I'm driving.

And I have some questions:

1) Has anybody seen vinyl-with-cloth upholstery on these cars? C-of-A mentions black/red leatherette/12

2) Does anybody have a car painted Metallic Green/8383 that I can see?

3) 'Captain' down in San Diego has an original '70 'S' Targa with what looks like this paint but I can't get a hold of the guy to verify; does anybody know this member or his car?

Last edited by LongRanger; 12-22-2023 at 06:49 AM.

We Can Be Heroes