Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wester Motors

Took my E out for a run today....and a little bit of thread revival....I live in Monterey and several years ago I was looking for a long hood 911. The market was very competitive at that time. Ended up hiring a well known forum member here, first name Bill, to help me find/vette possible candidates. He came across this 71 E at European Collectibles in Costa Mesa and I jumped on it. The car arrived and after looking thru the docs and I see that it was originally delivered via Wester Motors in Monterey. So it was very cool to bring it back to where it came from. Original motor and trans and all MFI intact.

Name:  86A22CE8-511A-4FC2-A174-7BEFED9D4D45.jpeg
Views: 497
Size:  123.2 KBName:  BBD0B998-EF93-4617-BFA1-82D44EE6DD15.jpeg
Views: 511
Size:  118.2 KBName:  8E59B170-5A3E-421E-92C7-BE83E96787F4.jpeg
Views: 505
Size:  117.0 KB
    Early 911S Registry#3437
    1971 911E

Wow.
    I just saw this post, the license plate on your E looked familiar.
    So I checked some old photos and sure enough! My next door neighbor in San Jose, Ca. used to own it.
    I was with him when he bought it to help him with the pre-purchase inspection back in the early '80's
    After several years he had the tired motor rebuilt, installed a sport muffler, which came off soon after we all got noise pollution tickets back in the day.
    I heard it had been backed into by a truck at some point after his ownership (intentionally) to try to collect insurance money to fund a slope nose conversion.
    Thankfully it dodged that bullet. It was a real nice original rust free car. Have fun!
    "Fahr drauf, bremsen ist feige!"

This was at a "Duel at DeAnza" DeAnza junior college autocross in the mid '80's
    Name:  94995597_2608537952800305_8734040700514992128_n.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  79.9 KB

WOW! this is so awesome! Thank you for sharing the info and digging out the picture!

what are the odds you could see/remember that plate! I'm truly amazed!

It's interesting that your neighbor auto crossed it....when I got it it had some blown out KYB shocks in the back and in the front it had hydro-pneumatic that looked to had been "home" converted. It also had an aftermarket sway bar set up. As you can see, the turn lights had been replaced way back then with the later black outlined ones. But other than that nothing was messed up or hacked up. And it totally makes sense now what you say about the accident. Having gone thru the car top to bottom I could tell the driver door had been hit.....it had been repainted and the window glass on the driver door is from later on. The rest of the glass is all date correct....except the windshield was also replaced.The frame underneath is totally undisturbed with it original undercoating. So I was correct! at some point it was backed into! I probably doubt it was hit to make it into a total loss....damage seems just limited to the door.

In terms of the engine, it is all stock MFI setup....but it does have an S injection pump and not an E. When I had to replace the chain tensioners I saw that it does have E stamped cams. I always wondered who swapped out the E pump for the S.

When I received the car; it was pretty much all there (original engine and trans and all the correct MFI stuff working). It did have the sugar scoop headlights that I changed out but still have the originals. I also have sourced a complete set of date correct Fuchs that I have stored away.

When I got it; I could tell it just sat in someone's garage for many years. It just need some service on everything(brakes, hoses, fluids, fuses, shifting linkage, the fuel filter was clogged full of crap, and so on) There were a few items missing or incorrect that I've sourced over the last 4 years. Put in the radio, found the engine relay cover. I rebuilt the front suspension with 80s carerra struts, turbo tie rods, and Bilstein inserts and had all the part powder coated etc.) New Bilsteins out back as well, all new bushings. The engine has always been strong since i've had it, no reason to mess with it. The hum of the MFI is lovely.

It is a very solid car. No rust. It' been a CA car it's whole life. It still has the 6 digit blue plate which is still active. It would be great if your neighbor had any info or pictures. But thanks so much for this very cool picture!

Name:  IMG_5170 (2).JPG
Views: 404
Size:  84.6 KBName:  IMG_5171 (2).JPG
Views: 396
Size:  101.4 KBName:  IMG_5165.JPG
Views: 406
Size:  117.8 KBName:  IMG_5164 (2).JPG
Views: 395
Size:  105.6 KBName:  IMG_5166 (2).JPG
Views: 397
Size:  114.2 KBName:  IMG_5167 (2).JPG
Views: 385
Size:  106.3 KBName:  IMG_5168 (2).JPG
Views: 399
Size:  96.5 KB
    Early 911S Registry#3437
    1971 911E

^^^^^ This would make a great article for the ESSES. Please reach out to Chuck if possible.
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

this would make a great article for the esses. Please reach out to chuck if possible.
    Abosolutly !!!!
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Miller View Post
    Abosolutly !!!!
    Be happy to. Thanks!
    Early 911S Registry#3437
    1971 911E

The rest of the glass is all date correct....except the windshield was also replaced"

Yep. Way back when, when we had even less money than we do now, we'd do our own work to try to save from paying the Porsche tax.
    My friend and his brother were replacing the windshield seal one day, friend outside playing glass catcher, bro inside
    pushing on windshield. "Little more pressure" friend said. "Uh-oh" bro said as feet went through the glass.
    I asked him to look for more pics for you.

Quote Originally Posted by ptrsbtrs View Post
    The rest of the glass is all date correct....except the windshield was also replaced"

Yep. Way back when, when we had even less money than we do now, we'd do our own work to try to save from paying the Porsche tax.
    My friend and his brother were replacing the windshield seal one day, friend outside playing glass catcher, bro inside
    pushing on windshield. "Little more pressure" friend said. "Uh-oh" bro said as feet went through the glass.
    I asked him to look for more pics for you.
    Ha great story! I can imagine his feet going thru the windshield and the conversation at that point.

I appreciate any more history! I sent you a pm.
    Early 911S Registry#3437
    1971 911E